The student news site of Rocky Mount Academy in Rocky Mount, North Carolina.

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Which ACC team will make it the furthest in the tournament?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Green Fields Gone White: Frozen Football!

In the past few weeWe want to hear what you think!

ks, the NFL made history as its players took to the field in bizarre–and extreme–weather conditions. On Saturday, January 13, the Kansas City Chiefs played the Miami Dolphins at home in Arrowhead Stadium in the NFL’s 4th coldest game on record. (The coldest game in NFL history was the “Ice Bowl,” which was played in December 1967 when the Packers beat the Cowboys while playing -13 degrees weather with a wind chill of -48.) The teams kicked off the game at -4 degrees Fahrenheit, but the wind chill made it feel like -28 degrees. However, the weather did not stop fans. Many showed up to watch the game because it was the first round of playoffs, also known as the Wild Card Round. The Chiefs had an easy win, dominating the Dolphins 26-7, but due to braving the freezing temperatures, 15 fans were later hospitalized with frostbite or hypothermia after standing out in the cold for 4 hours or more.

In another example, the Buffalo Bills faced the Pittsburgh Steelers in the first round of playoffs on Monday, January 15. The game was played at Highmark Stadium located in Orchard Park, NY. Before the game, it had snowed over 2 feet with temperatures ranging from 15 to 18 degrees. The Bills paid fans $20 per hour and offered free food for those who shoveled snow out of the stadium. They also had a first-come, first-serve seating arrangement that allowed fans to sit wherever they wanted in the stadium as long as they removed the snow from their seats. This allowed fans to sit closer to the field no matter what area they originally bought tickets. 

After defeating the Steelers 31 to 17, the Bills, played in yet another frozen match-up in Highmark Stadium on Sunday, January 21–this time against the Chiefs in the second round of the playoffs. It did not snow during the game, but the media was worried that the Bills players and staff would be unable to make it to practices and meetings due to bad weather. Leading up to the game, it snowed 21 inches, and the Bills asked fans to shovel snow again. Despite the cold weather, the Chiefs won, beating the Bills 27-24. It was only 16 degrees during the game with wind blowing 9 to 13 mph, but perhaps this was better for the Chiefs since stats show that quarterback Patrick Mahomes is 5-0 when the game-time temperatures are under 18 degrees.

The extreme conditions these teams played in this month raise some ethical concerns for both players and fans: Is it fair to ask fans to sit outside in freezing temperatures? There will always be die-hard fans–whether there for the game or the chance to see Taylor Swift watching her boyfriend (Travis Kelce, who plays for the Chiefs)–who will show up regardless of the weather. Should it be up to fans to decide if risking hypothermia is worth it, or should the NFL make that decision for them in case their enthusiasm blinds them? 

As for the athletes: is it fair to force players–especially those not used to the cold–to play in these conditions? Does playing games in such harsh conditions give one team an advantage over the other–for example, the Chiefs (based in NY) over the Dolphins (based in Florida)? In every game that the Dolphins have played in temps under 40 degrees, they have lost. Would postponing their game have changed the outcome?