The student news site of Rocky Mount Academy in Rocky Mount, North Carolina.

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Which ACC team will make it the furthest in the tournament?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Senior Spotlight: Owen Smith

Owen Smith describes himself as caring, friendly, and relaxed–all of which we seniors can say is true. As his best friend Temple Eidson says, “He is the best friend I could ever ask for.”

Owen Smith is finishing his high school career strong by taking Algebra 3 Trig, English 12, Economics, Ecology, and Ceramics–which he says is his favorite class. Together with Temple, Owen created a lifesize tape sculpture of a skydiver. 

Outside of school, Owen plays soccer and basketball, the latter of which is his favorite pastime. Although he was on RMA’s basketball team all four years as a power forward, he sadly didn’t have the opportunity to play much due to injury. He has sprained and broken both his ankles a total of 6 times, broken his hand, dislocated his shoulder, and sprained his sacrum. Most people in his situation would be discouraged, however, Owen says, “Although my injuries have impacted me by making me miss out on the thing I love most, having to deal with sitting out and watching, it made me want to work harder for my goals because opportunities to do so will not always be there. I know I need to make good use of my time and enjoy it.”

In the fall Owen applied to William Peace University, North Carolina State University, East Carolina University, and Campbell University with a plan to prepare to one day take over the family business: Smith’s Red and White, which Owen’s great-grandfather opened in 1954 as a small gas station in Dortches; it has consistently grown since and is now a grocery store and restaurant and even has a new event venue nearby. Owen has worked at Smith’s since he was just a child, spending his summer and Christmas breaks working at the store as his grandad’s assistant. There, he helps out with everything from loading pallets to making sausage. Being such a family-oriented person, Owen is happy to help out however he can! 

Having committed to East Carolina’s business college, he is looking forward most to the independence of college life. We hope he comes back and visits next year and we wish him the best of luck!

What will you miss about RMA?
The close community of friends

What is your favorite school event?
Homecoming

If you were trapped on a deserted island, what three things would you bring?
water, food, shelter

What celebrity would you want to be for two days and why?
Any NBA player to experience the game.

Where is your favorite place and why?
The lake, because it is relaxing there

Describe your dream vacation OR if you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
somewhere in the mountains