The student news site of Rocky Mount Academy in Rocky Mount, North Carolina.

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Which ACC team will make it the furthest in the tournament?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Featured Athlete: Isabella Daza

The Media Office is currently developing a new series of sports articles that will feature our outstanding student-athletes who participate in an unusual sport, a sport that is played outside of RMA, or a sport played at such a level that the RMA community needs to know about it! Being a student-athlete, I know how much work athletes put in, and I believe they should be recognized for it. Now that we have surveyed our Middle and Upper School students to ensure we don’t overlook some of the amazing things they’re doing in sports, our Featured Athlete articles will spotlight either a group of students who play together or one student who excels in their sport whether it’s at RMA, as part of an outside organization, or both. 

Our first issue will feature junior Isabella Daza, who is known at RMA for both her academics and athletics. Isabella joined us during her freshman year as the recipient of the Ann Weaver Scholarship and has proven herself at RMA by playing multiple sports while successfully keeping up with a very rigorous course load that includes AP and Honors classes. Even our very own Mrs. Murphy has said that “Isabella is the personification of every quality RMA seeks in an Ann Weaver Scholar and wants in a future RMA graduate. From the classroom to the fields and courts and everywhere in between, she gives 100% of her effort at all times. Her talent is matched only by the grace and humility she brings to every encounter, whether it be with a lower school student, an upper school peer, a faculty member, or an opponent on the soccer field. There are no limits to what Isabella will be able to accomplish in the future. How blessed we are to have her at RMA.”

Although she shines on the basketball court as the point guard of the Varsity Girls team, consistently being a top scorer with many assists, Isabella’s favorite sport is soccer. She began playing at around three years old, joining her first travel team in second grade. She’s played in many places, from Rocky Mount to Raleigh to Wilson, where she currently plays for WYSA, the Wilson Youth Soccer Association as Center Mid, which she loves because she feels like she can see everyone else on the field. Isabella says her favorite part of any game is “making the perfect pass to somebody so they can score,” which she enjoys even more than scoring herself.

The level at which Isabella plays soccer has opened many doors for her as she continues to play. She’s traveled to lots of different places on the East Coast, but her favorite team trip was to England with her team in seventh grade, where they were able to scrimmage a few teams from the area. The last two years, her team has qualified for the USYS (United States Youth Soccer Association) National Championship in Orlando, Florida. She describes the competition there as “insane” but says, “I wouldn’t trade it for anything; I loved it,” just showing her passion for the sport.

Though she finds excitement in the  travel opportunities that soccer has to offer, Isabella also appreciates the lessons and life skills soccer has taught her. She has learned that it is important  to speak up and work hard both on the field and off.  She’s also learned that “teamwork really is dreamwork” and that it’s okay to depend on others when you need help. 

Isabella’s talent and athletic abilities have sparked a few conversations with potential college scouts. She’s not sure if she wants to continue playing soccer in college, but conversations like these will help her determine whether continuing her soccer career at the college level is right for her. Seeing Isabella’s drive and determination mixed with her athletic and academic ability, we’re sure she’ll succeed in any path she chooses!