The student news site of Rocky Mount Academy in Rocky Mount, North Carolina.

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Which ACC team will make it the furthest in the tournament?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Senior Spotlight: Landen Sheeler

Ask anyone in the senior class, and they will tell you that their classmate Landen Sheeler is a true friend to everyone. Describing himself as energetic, kind, and supportive–and I need to add that he has a witty and sarcastic sense of humor–Landen can truly make anyone laugh and brighten up their day. 

An academically determined individual, Landen offers this advice to incoming freshmen: “do your homework, and don’t wait until the last minute to do a project!” Reflecting this conscientious attitude, this year he opted to enroll in numerous challenging courses: AP Calculus, AP Psychology, AP Environmental Science, and Honors English 12. Landen is particularly skilled in mathematics; I cannot count the number of times he has been able to help me when I was struggling with a homework problem! When he attends college next fall–he’s decided on ECU after also earning admittance to Virginia Commonwealth University, App State, or Elon–he plans to utilize his skills and major in mathematics with the hope of going to medical school.

Outside of school, Landen stays busy. He deeply loves dancing, which he has done competitively for 12 years and especially loves to tap dance–his most-liked style of dance. One of Landen’s favorite performances in his dancing career is a tap dance he did to C2C and Derek Martin’s song “Happy.” 

Growing up as a dancer, Landen was constantly surrounded by music, so it only makes sense that he has a steadfast appreciation for it. He particularly enjoys listening to Taylor Swift, and one of his favorite songs ever is her song “Afterglow” from her preferred album of his, Lover. Not only does he love her music, but she also serves as a role model for him because “she teaches him to reach for his dreams and never let anything or anyone stop him.”

Although he loves the arts, Landen is also interested in technology. This year Landen decided to become a member of RMA’s newly founded E-Sports team, which competes against other schools in online games. In February, he attended an E-Sports conference in Charlotte with some of his team members to compete in person with schools not only in North Carolina but from all around the country! All of his dedication to the team aside, Landen equally enjoys playing video games recreationally at home. 

In the future, he plans to enjoy the independence of college and work towards his “dream life,” which he considers to be practicing medicine as a doctor and living with the love of his life in a house he designed. With his happy-go-lucky attitude and wit, we are sure Landen will soon be living out this dream.

What is your favorite movie or go-to song?

My favorite movie is Red White and Royal Blue, and my go-to song–if not Taylor Swift–is Chasing Cars.

Where is your favorite place and why?

The park at sunset because of how relaxing and quiet it is.

If you could be any teacher for the day, who would it be and why?

Mr. Stone because he is never afraid to speak his mind.

What is your favorite school event?

Pajama day

What is one lesson you learned at RMA?

How to balance life and work.