The student news site of Rocky Mount Academy in Rocky Mount, North Carolina.

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Which ACC team will make it the furthest in the tournament?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Kicking off Spring Sports!

Soccer team picture post-win!

It’s coming up to that time of year when the sun is shining, it’s getting warmer, and most importantly, spring sports are starting again! RMA offers six different spring sports for students to choose from. Boys can play JV or varsity tennis and baseball, as well as varsity golf; girls can play JV or varsity soccer or softball; and both have the option of joining the track team. Despite the decidedly un-springlike weather last week (March 4th), several of our spring teams began regular season play, with most teams off to a victorious start. Keep reading for a preview of our varsity and co-ed sports!

Senior Jordan Wright winding up to pitch! (Saylor Newton Photography)

Varsity Baseball started the season off strong with a 12-2 win against Village Christian Academy in Fayetteville. Hits from the entire lineup and a home run from senior Jordan Wright set the Eagles up for success. The defense backed junior Seth Tickel and senior Parker Sherrod (who recently committed to NCWU to continue his baseball career) on the mound, only allowing two runs to score.  This year, the boys are hoping to make it all the way to the state championship!

Varsity Soccer also started the season off on a high note with a 10-1 home win against Pungo Christian Academy (from Belhaven, NC) with goals from junior Isabella Daza (1) and sophomores Hannah Garris (2), Millar Berry (3), and Taylor Carmichael (4). Sophomore McKenna Rogers’ defense in the goal helped secure the win for the Lady Eagles! Coming off such a successful last season (19-1), the girls are hopeful to continue the streak this year. Last weekend (3/8-3/9), the girls competed at the Brittany Soccer Showcase, a tournament that brings awareness to sexual abuse and provides scholarships for college-bound students. There, the girls defeated Community Christian School by a score of 8-1!

Sophomore Landry Miller fielding grounders! (Saylor Newton Photography)

Varsity Softball didn’t bring home the win against Freedom Christian Academy last week (Tuesday, March 5) but won its pre-season tournament against Southwest Edgecombe High School and Lawrence Academy, so things are looking good there too! Though it was a short tournament with only three teams, it was a good experience and let everyone see where they stand this season. The girls are playing an extremely competitive schedule this year to prepare for state play in May, where they will likely face Wayne Christian, which is consistently one of top teams in the division. Freshman ace pitcher Berkeley Miller says she is “confident we will end up facing Wayne in states again. Our team is really solid this year; I know we will put up a good fight.”

Junior Christopher Harper practicing backhands (Saylor Newton Photography)

The Varsity Tennis team started their season off with a 7-2 home win against Epiphany School on March 5. #1 seed Christopher Harper set the bar for the boys, and great performances by Sammy Bowles, Thomas Honey, and Ethan Kim followed. In the last three years, the tennis team has won two state championships (2021 and 2022), and now they’re looking for their third title. Lone senior Gabe Henderson says he’s confident that “we will win states a third time!”

Though most of our spring athletes are returning, a few are using this season’s sports to try something new. Thankfully, our coaches are willing to help anyone who is new to a sport. As a small school, RMA is able to offer a no-cut policy so that all students are free to try out any sport they’re interested in. If you’re not currently involved in spring sports, I encourage you to go to a few games or matches; you just might find a team you’d like to join next year.