The student news site of Rocky Mount Academy in Rocky Mount, North Carolina.

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Which ACC team will make it the furthest in the tournament?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Success, Senior Nights, and State Play

Spring sports seasons are coming to a close, and state play is looming for our varsity teams. Success throughout the seasons and many hours spent in practice are finally going to be put to the test. As senior nights come and go for our teams, they continue to perfect their technique and prepare the best they can for state play. 

With  a 10-4 record overall (6-1 in conference), varsity Eagle baseball remains first in conference play. With just one game remaining before playoffs, it is essential for the boys to remain on top both to keep their #1 standing in the conference and to earn a high seed going into states. Win or lose, the boys will celebrate their six seniors (Parker Sherrod, Carson Cross, Isaac Calhoun, Luke Holloman, Marti McKnight, and Jordan Wright) before their game against Faith Christian that night on Friday, May 3.

Remaining undefeated this season with a 13-0 record (8-0 in conference play), varsity soccer hopes to receive one of the top seeds and finish its last conference game (against Faith) (against Faith) with a win. On April 30, the girls honored their two seniors, Avery Cumpata and Juhee Desai, as they played (and won!) against 4A St. Mary’s School. Being undefeated, the girls will most likely receive a top seed in states along with a first and possibly second round bye.

Our lone co-ed sport–track and field–honored seniors Audrey Roeder and Marti Mcknight on April 17 at the School of the Deaf in Wilson. Today, the team traveled to Durham for its last regular season meet, getting in some final practice before the states in Gastonia at UNC-Asheville. Although our athletes are hoping for a win, this year will be a success no matter what happens on May 17: senior Audrey Roeder says she is “so grateful to have been able to run and jump with such wonderful coaches and teammates and… will never forget all the amazing skills that track and field has taught her.”

Our varsity softball team, being 11-2 in the regular season and 4-0 in conference play, is busy preparing for its final two games of the regular season–one being conference (Faith Christian) and the other being crucial for state seeding (Parrott). Eagle softball is currently ranked 3rd in the state and hopes to be rewarded with a few home games and possibly a first-round bye. Softball will honor lone senior Gabbi Ams at home on May 3 against Faith Christian with posters, food, and–as tradition requires–a meaningful gift.

This year, varsity tennis has been rebuilding after the loss of many exceptional players over the last two years. Even so, the boys remain undefeated in conference play and are anticipating a successful run at states. They honored Gabe Henderson, their one senior, on April 29 against Trinity Academy of Raleigh. He celebrated with his parents, team, and–best of all–an Eagle win!

Finally, varsity golf celebrated senior Parker Eatmon at Benvenue Country Club with a win against Harrells Christian Academy on April 29. Parker shot his best round of the year with a 78, matching Holden Haggerty and Hank Berry. Will Robillard, a consistent leader on the team, shot 3 over par with a 75. At the end of the day, the Eagles were 11 shots ahead of Harrells to clinch the win. The boys are now waiting for state tournament selections (May 8) to see who will compete in Jamestown, NC at the Jamestown Park Golf Course on May 13-14. 

As you can see, spring 2024 has been an exceptionally great season for RMA athletics, and we are so proud of each of these teams has achieved!