The student news site of Rocky Mount Academy in Rocky Mount, North Carolina.

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Which ACC team will make it the furthest in the tournament?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Varsity Girls Basketball Soars to the Top: 2024 Conference Champions

Two weeks ago (February 9-10), the Varsity Girls Basketball team claimed the Regular Season Championship and CIC Tournament Championship titles! The girls’ record was 20-2 leading up to the games, and they were a perfect 10-0 in conference games, so their success during tournament time was no surprise. 

The girls played Fayetteville Academy on Friday the 9th, defeating them 62-37. The top scorers were Isabella Daza with 18 points, Taylor Carmichael with 12 points, and Berkeley Miller with 12 points. Then on Saturday the 10th, with contributions from the same amazing players, the Lady Eagles beat Harrells Christian Academy 74-33. Berkeley Miller had 15 points, and Isabella Daza had 10 points. Lead scorer Taylor Carmichael racked up 30 points, which allowed her to receive the Tournament MVP Award and All-Conference honors, and many of her teammates also took home awards. As a top scorer in many of the season’s games, Isabella Daza was named All-Conference and Player of the Year. Berkeley Miller made All-Conference and All-Tournament, and McKenna Rogers was also named All-Conference. 

Since the girls were the conference champions, they had a pass for the first round of playoffs (which took place February 13) and waited until February 15 on their home court in Rocky Mount to take on Epiphany. The girls had an easy win of 57-27 with Taylor Carmicheal, Isabella Daza, and Jessica Proctor as the lead scorers for the game. In the third round (played on February 17), the Lady Eagles played at home against Trinity Academy from Raleigh. The score was close, but the girls pulled through, winning 49-40 with every Lady Eagle scoring! Once again, Taylor Carmichael (16 points), Berkeley Miller (12 points), and Isabella Daza (7 points) were our top scorers. 

The girls played at home against Wayne Country Day in the semi-finals on Tuesday, February 20. Unfortunately, the Lady Eagles fell short, losing 57-44, but several of our players did a fantastic job: Isabella Daza, Jessica Proctor, and Taylor Carmichael had 11 points each along with 7 points from Berkley Miller and 4 points from McKenna Rogers.

Despite the semi-final loss, we are very proud that our Varsity girls made it so far and look forward to seeing the outcome of the championship game between Wayne Country Day and O’Neal High School on February 24.