Senior Spotlight: Matthew Davis

Mary-Edith Cox, Social Media Chair

This week’s senior spotlight focuses on RMA “lifer” Matthew Davis. He is a well-accomplished student at RMA, excelling in academics, athletics, and volunteer work. Everyone is familiar with his friendly and funny personality, which makes him a close friend to everyone. Perhaps his most pronounced trait would be his laid-back attitude and sarcastic sense of humor, much like one of the fan-favorite teachers at RMA, Shawn Leonard. Knowing that Matthew has gotten into music during high school, I asked Mr. Leonard for a quote about Matthew, and he responded with, “Matthew has a very cool sense of humor. He is quick witted and always cracking us up.”

Academically, Matthew is a very bright individual. Throughout high school, he has filled his schedule with Honors and AP classes. For his senior year, Matthew is taking AP Statistics, Advanced English, Music, Sports Medicine, and AP Environmental Science. He also participates in community service activities. Like several other guys in the class of 2021, Matthew is an Eagle Scout. For his Eagle Scout project, Matthew put up a covering over part of the playground at Good Shepherd Day School. Not only does Matthew display talent in the classroom, he also is a three sport student athlete: golf, basketball, and football. Matthew dedicates much of his time to practicing golf and can be found at the golf course throughout the year (except when it is snowing or storming). 

Fourteen years later, Matthew is preparing to depart from the timeless halls of Rocky Mount Academy. I have had the pleasure of becoming a close friend to Matthew, as well as being his classmate since the beginning. He has left an impact on me and many of the other people in the school. I asked Ayden Bilicki, a close friend of Matthew’s, for a quote about him and he responded with, “He’s always been a good friend of mine, and if you ever have the opportunity to get to know him, I’d advise you to. He’s got good intentions and will have your back if needed. I’ve enjoyed the past four years of our friendship and going to RMA together.” Matthew, your time at RMA has prepared you for the future, and the RMA family is going to miss your great sense of humor and friendly personality. You are going to do great things!

To get to know Matthew, read the questionnaire below!

1. What colleges did you apply to? Major choice? App State, Clemson, and Campbell. Sports Management.
  2. What club(s) are you in? Mr. Hester’s Sunshine Club.
  3. If you had to choose, what would your theme song be? “6 Man” by Drake.
  4. What is your favorite TV show? Favorite movie?  M*A*S*H or The Flash, and Caddyshack.
  5. Where is your favorite place to go for long lunch? Zaxby’s/
  6. If you were a millionaire, what would you spend the money on? New things for the Jeep or a plane ticket out of Rocky Mount.
  7. Growing up, what did you aspire to be? A pro athlete.
  8. What is one thing most people don’t know about you? I’m actually 6’4.
  9. If you could have dinner with one famous person (dead or alive), who would it be, and why? Kobe Bryant, because he was my idol.
  10. What is the best piece of advice you have ever received? It’s only illegal if you get caught.
  11. What is your favorite quote? “Nightmare, nightmare, nightmare” -Eric Andre.
  12. Who is your role model? Matthew Berry.
  13. What is your favorite RMA memory? Working Dr. K’s summer camp.
  14. Who is your favorite teacher at RMA? Mr. Leonard.
  15. Describe yourself in three words. Tall, dark, and handsome.