Bradley Hall

Bradley+Hall

Ann Sumner Thorp, Editor-in-Chief

This year’s annual auction proved to be a night to remember in the hearts of RMA faculty and friends. Held in honor of RMA’s 50th anniversary, the auction brought many alumni back to Rocky Mount for the big celebration. However, there was one surprise presentation that proved to be the most memorable part of the evening for both our school and for Mrs. Patsy Bradley.

Mrs. Bradley has been working at RMA since it first opened in 1968. Starting downtown in an office building until moving to the school when it officially opened, Mrs. Bradley was in charge of bookkeeping. Back then, everything was done by hand with no computers or technology to help make life easier, so Mrs. Bradley had to record tuition payments on ledger cards. In addition to her bookkeeping duties, Mrs. Bradley was also asked to help out with a different role as the girls P.E. teacher. Even though those two jobs were on opposite ends of the spectrum, she fulfilled both perfectly which is a testament to not only her multitasking skills and flexibility but also to her dedication to our school for taking on that extra role.

Every year she has been a part of the RMA family, Mrs. Bradley has made a difference. Though her job has changed a little in the past years with the addition of more students, staff, and technology, her role is just as important as it was on day one. Her commitment to helping our school become the best it can be serves as an encouragement to not only the other staff members but also the students. She models dedication and love for what she does, making a difference in the lives of students with each task.

If you ever want to meet this extraordinary woman, her door is the first one on the left when you walk into the office area. I strongly encourage you to introduce yourself and get to know her, because her kindness is worth getting to know. Taking a quote from Ms. Covolo’s speech at the auction, “Patsy, you are the heart and soul of this institution we call our family, and we thank you from the bottom of our collective hearts.”

On behalf of the students, the Media Office would like to give a big thank you to Mrs. Bradley for all of her hard work throughout the years to help make the school what it is today. We are all so appreciative for how the school has shaped who we are as people and how it has prepared for life beyond RMA, and none of that would have been possible without you Mrs. Bradley.

“And so, it is the honor of a lifetime to present to you all the doorway to our world, formerly known as Avondale Hall, that will, from this day forward, be known to all who enter by its new name: Bradley Hall.” – Ms. Covolo