Chinese Students Visit RMA

Anna Scott Wingfield, Editor-in-chief

On Tuesday, September 30th, the courtyard was buzzing with excitement as nineteen Rocky Mount Academy Students and host families awaited the arrival of the Chinese Students. Soon after 6:00pm, the big yellow school bus, driven by none other than the infamous Jacob, pulled up to Avondale. In a flurry of excitement, the crowd rushed to the front doors to welcome our new friends. Students helped unload the suitcases and began to introduce themselves to their assigned students. There was laughter, smiles and hand gestures as they began breaking language barriers. For many of the students, it was their first time traveling to America. However, they will be able to improve their English as they immerse themselves into life here at Rocky Mount Academy for the next month.

The high school students and their teacher from Yuhuatai High School Nanjing China only stayed with host families during the week of September 26th, but they are staying in a hotel for the rest of the month while still attending school here at RMA. The Chinese visitors are paired with an “ambassador” chosen by the school, who they follow to each class and have the opportunity to spend time with. This partnership came about through Global Classroom Alliance, which is also the program that fostered our partnership between Hai Wai. Along with attending classes, the students will be going on a few college tours over the weekends and during the last week in October, they will travel up the East Coast and to California for college tours. Many of the students seem interested in the prospect of attending college in the United States. From California, they will return home to China.

For many, this is a once in a lifetime experience. The high school students from China have the opportunity to live in America and really immerse in our culture all while improving their English. For us Americans, how often do we have the chance to host a foreign student, learn about their culture, and simply make new friends? Even if the experience is short term, there is no doubt that there will be long lasting friendships and memories made. The students are sad to leave the host families and the families are sad as well, but staying in a hotel will be a different scene that they will get to enjoy all together as a group. This past week while staying with the host families, the students have tried all kinds of American food for the first time, attended RMA sporting events, and other events in Rocky Mount.

I have had the chance to talk to one of the Chinese students, Mike during the week. Mike (or Chen, as Thomas calls him both) is extremely advanced in his English and we had no trouble having conversations and understanding each other. His ambassador is senior Thomas Moore and he also stayed with him this week. To learn more about him, read the few questions below.

Is this your first time traveling to America?

Actually no, I have been to Brighton, Florida before.

How long was the trip here?

Our flight was 13 hours from Shanghai to Detroit and then 2 ½ hours I think to North Carolina.

What was most shocking to you about our life here?

You guys are really dependent on your cars. Example of mobile food services (drive-thrus) and banks where you don’t even have to get out of your car. In my city, taxi is the most common form of transportation. Subway is also quick and convenient.

What has it been like living with the Moore family?

We really get along with each other. Me and his younger brother share the same hobby, photography. Breakfast is really good. You guys have a habit of keeping pets, they have a cat and two dogs. Not a lot of people have pets in China.

What has been your favorite class?

I like US. Government and Statistics. I also like Psychology. We don’t have that in China, we learn about the brain in Biology.

How do you know English so well?

I started at 7. I had the chance to attend a class with foreign teachers and had the chance to communicate with them. That really helped me with my speaking and listening.

I encourage you to talk to some of these students if you get the chance! They are only at school for 7 more days and it is very interesting to learn about their culture.