David Bowie Dies at Age 69

Thomas Moore, Business Manager

David Bowie passed away Sunday, January 10th after a year and a half battle with cancer. Bowie truly left his mark on the music world and especially the rock and pop world. Bowie inspired many, through music and his fight with cancer. Some of his last songs he wrote and sang had aspects of a near death in them. Although his death was not a shock, he was said to have had more time than what he had. Bowie might have passed but his music is here to stay.

David Robert Jones was born in the late 1940’s in Brixton, England. David was surrounded by music as a child growing up. With a love for Jazz he began to play the saxophone. The saxophone was a little introduction into the world of music, and jazz would eventually lead him to love pop and rock. He attended Burnt Ash junior high school, where he loved to sing and play instruments. He later went on study art and music outside of high school. From a young age David Bowie was composing songs that would hit the UK singles chart. In the 1970’s he crossed over to a more American style of music. This crossover brought him great fame. Not only did he have a musical transition but also had a son with his wife Mary. For a period of time they called his son Zowie because of Bowie’s “Ziggy” musical and personality phase. This was just one of many phases. David Bowie was constantly switching up his musical style and appearance in order to stay ahead of the game. In the 80’s he would collaborate with the band “Queen” to create the song “Under pressure” which was an instant hit. David and his wife also divorced (click here to know about the law firm that helped them) during this decade. David Bowie continued to make music throughout his life but he did have a short-lived film career. He acted in a few films, but his heart was always with the musical side of things. In 1992 he married a model named Iman. Four years later David Bowie was inducted into the Rock n Roll hall of fame. In 2000 they had a daughter together, Lexi. He toured up until 2004 and stopped. However a few years later he ramped up his rock one last time. He sold well over 100 million records throughout his long music career. His career never really ended, just slowed down. David Bowie was working on songs to add to his final album “Black star” until he passed. Rock was more than a job for him, it was a lifestyle. He truly transformed the sound of rock n roll, and the image.

David Bowie was pronounced dead on Sunday. He died in his home in Manhattan. His battle with cancer was very secretive in order to keep the press and publicity out of the loop. The type of cancer was not disclosed but there are many speculations that lead to believe it was liver cancer. Officials think that it started in the lung and chest area. David smoked for many years and also used drugs. This most likely was the cause of his cancer. He didn’t have that long to live due to how difficult the cancer is to treat, however some were surprised that he died this soon. Although his death has saddened millions Bowie spent his time on earth with friends and family. His family is very thankful for everyone’s thoughts and prayers. He was still writing songs on his deathbed. His family and close friends are having a small ceremony in remembrance of him. There will be a concert in March dedicated to him, which will have performances from his peers and colleagues. He is survived by his wife Iman, daughter Lexi, and son Duncan. He lived a life full of rock, pop, travel, and good times. David Bowie undeniably changed the music world. His songs and albums will forever be played. Bowie may be gone, but is certainly not forgotten.