Rachel Williams and Colby Kirkpatrick Advance in Esteemed Scholarships

Lindsey Ross, Photographer

As time continues to race by and the date of Graduation comes closer, many seniors are deciding where they will be attending college next year. Although this massive decision is not very easy for most to make, the possibility of receiving full or partial scholarships helps narrow down the choices.Currently, the Class of 2015 has collectively received over $874,000 in scholarship offerings from schools or various organizations.Two exceptional members of this class, Rachel Williams and Colby Kirkpatrick, have both recently advanced in prestigious, all-inclusive scholarships for two in-state universities.

Rachel, who was notified of her advancement in N.C. State’s Park Scholarship over Winter Break, interviewed recently in hopes of advancing as a finalist. Regarding the interview, Rachel stated that, “I thought the interview went well. I did the best that I could so now I must wait to see the results. Whether or not I’m a good fit for this scholarship, it has been an honor to have been nominated and make it this far in the process.” If she is one of the forty students who receives this honor, Rachel will be able to attend NCSU free of charge along with multiple benefits such as involvement in State’s University Scholars Program and grants for professional and personal enrichment experiences abroad. This week, Rachel should be notified if she has made it to the final round.

Along with Rachel, Colby has also recently received positive feedback from colleges regarding scholarship money. This past Friday, January 16th, Colby was notified of his status as a finalist for the Morehead- Cain Scholarship of UNC- Chapel Hill. Like the Park Scholarship, the Morehead includes room and board expenses and travel to almost any destination for four summers for personal growth. Along with 125 other finalists, Colby will be attending finalist weekend in late February for a final interview and will participate in various opportunities such as meeting peers and seeing what daily life is like for current Morehead scholars at UNC. Of these 125 students, 55 will become Morehead scholars. When asked about finalist weekend, Colby answered, “I still cannot believe that I advanced, but I am really looking forward to getting to know the Morehead-Cain program a little better and to meeting other finalists from all over the world.”