Upperclassmen Win Annual Powder Puff Game

The Senior-Junior girls defeated the Sophomore-Freshman girls 18-0 in this year’s Powder Puff football game.  The Powder Puff football game is a tradition at Rocky Mount Academy that all high school girls and the student body as a whole look forward to.  It is held annually by the Student Government Association, and the proceeds go to a local charity.  This year’s game was a huge success, with a record crowd and more money made than ever before in Rocky Mount Academy history!

The Powder Puff football game pits the Senior-Junior girls against the Sophomore-Freshman girls every year in the middle of football season.  The game is fun, competitive, and supports great causes.  The Senior-Junior girls have historically won more games than the underclassmen, and this year did not disappoint.  The upperclassmen were led by talented quarterback Ann Claire Roberson, Ashley Bissette, and Claire Stanovich. The impressive defense that the upperclassman team provided was on fire throughout the entire game, not allowing any points by the underclassmen. Chelsea Walden had a key interception that sealed the deal for the Senior- Junior team. Other seniors and juniors also contributed valuable experience and football knowledge to the team.  The talent and experience of the upperclassmen were too much for the Sophomore-Freshman girls, who nonetheless have high expectations for the next 2-3 years.

Their male classmates were also impressive this year.  Chris Rabil, Josh Legaj, Rod White, and other football players coached the Sophomore-Freshman girls.  The upperclassmen were coached by Kyle Holland, John Hardy High, and Linwood Jones along with other football players.  The Sophomore-Freshman boys also dressed up as cheerleaders as usual, providing entertainment to the crowd.  Brice Andracchio and Landon Clontz announced the game, providing humorous dialogue and game analysis for the large crowd.

The Powder Puff football game made a school record $511.00 dollars this year.  In addition to the huge attendance, SGA made money by selling concessions.  The extra food was donated to a local charity after the game.  The upperclassmen girls have yet to decide on a charity,  but will choose one in the coming weeks