Senior Spotlight: Max Collins

This week’s Senior Spotlight features none other than Max Collins. Max has been a part of the Rocky Mount Academy student body since he was in 6th grade. Ever since his arrival, he has been a favorite for many of the Class of 2017. Max’s fun-loving personality and often uncontrollable laughter adds to the joyful nature of this years’ seniors. When asked about her friend, Marin Rommel said, “Max is a goofball and one of my very best friends. He has one of the best personalities around!” A ray of sunshine, Max can rarely be seen without a smile on his face, especially when he is surrounded by friends.

Max’s time at Rocky Mount Academy has been characterized by hard work and determination. He greets every challenge with a plan of action, no matter its difficulty. His ability to tackle academic obstacles resulted in securing a place on the A/B Honor Roll in 10th and 11th grade. Max’s teachers can often be seen cracking a smile when met with his candid humor, which always seems to put a positive spin on any situation. His humorous honesty has allowed him to connect with others across RMA’s campus. Throughout high school, Max has been very involved in the RMA family. For years, Max has worked with the younger members of the student body as an After School Enrichment tutor and a campus summer camp counselor. Max was also a member of the varsity tennis team where he quickly picked up some impressive skills like a natural. In high school, he has also been an active member of the Key Club, Academy Rescue Foundation, and Debate Club. Those that know Max also know that he has a natural artistic ability and a keen eye for aesthetics. It is no surprise that his talents have been recognized in the campus art show with both honorable mention and second place awards. During his senior year, Max achieved the honor of securing a place on the high school Honor Council. This is an especially impressive accolade, as it recognizes both personal and academic integrity. Needless to say, Max’s high school record has been more than productive.

As Max departs Rocky Mount Academy within the next two months (tell me it isn’t true!), he will surely be remembered by the school. As he takes on the challenges of what the next chapter holds at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, he will have the support of too many to name. As someone who has known Max since the young piano lesson days, prior to life at RMA, I will especially miss his everyday presence and ability to find joy in the simplest of things. I believe Neha Baliga said it best when she stated, “Max is one of the sweetest guys I know. He is always ready to brighten your day and have a good time.”

To learn more about this soon to be missed senior, read the interview below!

1. What has been your favorite class at RMA?

Mr. Ezzard’s music class

1.  What are you most proud of accomplishing at RMA?

Getting into college

1.  What will you miss the most about RMA?

Sub day

1. What is your favorite long lunch destination?

Golden Corral for the chocolate fountain and bourbon street chicken

1. Do you know what you want to study in college?

Something mathy but I don’t really know what

1. Growing up, what did you aspire to be?

A pro skateboarder

1. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Hopefully snowboarding in Colorado/Utah

1. What is your favorite Netflix show?

Lost

1. What is something not many people know about you?

I have an irrational fear of cotton balls.

1. If you could give any piece of advice to underclassmen, what would it be?

Be yourself.

1. What is your pet peeve?

Flaky people

1. Do you have a nickname?

Lil Max Till