The student news site of Rocky Mount Academy in Rocky Mount, North Carolina.

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Which ACC team will make it the furthest in the tournament?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Roommate Shopping!

Roommate+Shopping%21

Now that our senior class has tackled college admissions applications, it is time to take on housing applications. Of course, the biggest concern on all of our minds is who we will room with and if we’ll like them. 

Most people decide to choose their own roommate–one of their friends from high school or sports–to avoid getting stuck with someone they don’t get along with, but even choosing a roommate from your roster of friends might not be the best idea. Some people find that living with your friends can completely change the dynamic of the relationship or ruin it all together. Disagreements over things like money or housekeeping responsibilities can cause irreparable damage to your friendship. For this reason, the majority of incoming freshmen decide to find a roommate online. Many colleges allow you to create a profile through their housing portal that other students can look at when filling out their applications. Some colleges (I know App State is one) offer ZeeMee, which is a forum with chat groups that let incoming freshmen connect with college advisors or admissions counselors and also other students, which could lead to finding the perfect roommate. 

Probably the most popular way of finding a roommate is through Instagram. The countless “Class of 2028” Instagram accounts give students a platform to post a picture of themselves with a caption describing their interests so that other prospective students can browse or “shop” for possible roomies from among the posts. Some colleges also offer students a platform where they can meet other incoming students and, if they’re lucky, find a roommate.  

Carissa Spruill’s Instagram post for NC State’s Class of 2028 page

If you decide to choose your roommate–whether using Instagram, ZeeMee, or just your own list of friends–there are some things you might want to consider to make sure you and your new roommate are compatible: 

• academic major or intended career
  • daily schedule (night owl vs. early bird, when they like to study, etc.)
  • interest in Greek Life
  • extrovert/introvert
  • musical preferences
  • religion
  • personal aesthetic/style
  • high maintenance/low maintenance
  • level of neatness and cleanliness 
  • personal hygiene
  • hobbies and interests
  • how often they plan to go home on the weekend
  • allergies

While some things like music taste or someone’s interest in Greek Life may not be very big problems, things like religion, hygiene, or a person’s daily schedule weigh a little bit heavier in the relationship.

I sent a poll to the senior class to see what things on (and not on) this list they were looking for in a roommate. The majority of students said that they want a roommate who is relatively clean, respectful, and honest. A couple of students said they want someone they can study with and that will motivate them academically. As for dislikes, some students reported that they didn’t want someone who stayed out too late or partied too much. One person understandably said that they didn’t want to live with someone who smokes. 

When you do choose your roommate (or get assigned a roommate if you decide to roll the dice), here are some tips to make sure you have a good experience. First, it’s important to remember that it is not only your space, but a space you are sharing with someone else. You have to be mindful of their boundaries, as you would want them to be mindful of yours. (For example: Do you want to share clothes? Do you and your roommate have to ask each time?)  It’s crucial to establish those boundaries early on to avoid some confusion and conflict; of course, you can’t avoid every issue, but it can be beneficial to circumvent the ones you can by discussing your expectations in advance. 

You should also be aware of things that are not under your–or their–control. For instance, some people are their most productive early in the morning, and you can’t expect your early bird roommate to change their schedule for you. A good quality to have when living with roommates is the ability to make compromises over the things you disagree about. This means you might agree that when your roommate wakes up at 5:30 am, they won’t turn on music or overhead lights. In case of any major disagreements, you should approach the conflict in an honest and respectful way while also prioritizing your needs. Living with roommates can be fun as long as you are mindful and respectful of their needs as well as your own.   

If it turns out that you do not like who you have to room with, you should still do your best to be respectful of them. Remember that it is not their (or your!) fault that you don’t get along; some personalities just don’t mesh as roommates. On the bright side, if you live with someone you don’t like, you will not only learn more about yourself and your preferences but it also gives you the opportunity to branch out and make friends in other ways. 

However you decide to choose a roommate, we wish you the best of luck and hope that dorm-living is a positive experience for you!