The student news site of Rocky Mount Academy in Rocky Mount, North Carolina.

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Which ACC team will make it the furthest in the tournament?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Senior Spotlight: Audrey Roeder

Audrey Roeder, the sunshine of the senior class, has been part of the RMA family since Pre-K and is loved by both teachers and students for her happy-go-lucky attitude. She is a cheery, outgoing, and determined individual who embraces life as a student, actress, athlete, and wonderful friend.

This year, Audrey is challenging herself with a diverse schedule, including Honors French IV, Ecology, Honors English 12, Algebra III Trig, AP Environmental Science, and Art III. In her Art III class, she primarily enjoys working on paintings, such as the one featured in a previous issue of The Examiner. Because she does everything to the best of her ability, Audrey has received several awards in high school for her determination, major ones including the Joshua Weaver Memorial Scholarship and the Citizenship Award (which she was awarded twice!); other honors include induction into the National Honor Society and the National Society of High School Scholars. 

An athletic individual, Audrey was a member of the JV Girls’ Basketball team in grades 9-10, the Varsity Girls’ Basketball team in 11th grade, and the Track and Field team from 9th-12th grade. She is extraordinarily talented in high jump competitions on the Track and Field team and has been recognized both at school (with the Coach’s Award for Track and Field in 2022) and on the state level (with the NCISAA Division III High Jump Champion and the All-State Track and Field High Jump Athlete awards in 2022, as well as the NCISAA Division III High Jump State Runner-Up award in 2023).

In addition to athletics, Audrey is involved in several clubs on campus, including the National Honor Society, Senior Beta Club, Stronger Together (which assists the Exceptional Children’s program), the Upper School Chorus, and Drama Club. As a member of Drama, Audrey has participated in the Upper School productions each spring, playing a variety of roles: Eleanor in Footloose, Miss Kepplewhite and a war bride in Little Me, Lisa in Mamma Mia, and Sandy in Grease. Outside of school athletics and clubs, she enjoys riding her bike, hiking, and spending time with her family and friends, which checks out, since she cites her “mum” (Mrs. Roeder is Australian and uses the British form of our American “mom”) as her role model. Audrey says that many people also don’t know that she enjoys playing the guitar, especially songs by The Beatles, since she doesn’t tell many people about it. She has now been playing for seven years and absolutely loves it!

Audrey plans on attending college at NC State, High Point University, Elon, or ECU. Wherever she goes, she is excited about “meeting lots of new people” to be friends with, highlighting her warm personality. However, she says that she will “miss all of the wonderful teachers” at RMA since she has been here so long. Hoping to work as a zookeeper in Australia after majoring in biology, Audrey reminds us of her words of advice that she lives up to: “If you want to do something, go for it. Amazing things can come from trying new things!”

Get to know Audrey:

What is your favorite movie or go-to song?

It’s hard to pick, but I can narrow it down to three: Braveheart, Cruella, and Pretty Woman.

Describe your dream vacation OR if you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

My dream vacation would be to go to England and Scotland and spend a month or so hiking around and visiting all of the famous places there.

If you were trapped on a deserted island, what three things would you bring?

I would bring a machete, a water filter tool, and my sister (Adelaide, who is in 7th grade here).

What celebrity would you want to be for two days and why?

I would want to be Princess Kate because she is always poised and elegant and such a wonderful role model to thousands of people.

What is your favorite school event?

My favourite school event is prom because I love being able to see everyone dressed up nicely, and I love dancing!