The student news site of Rocky Mount Academy in Rocky Mount, North Carolina.

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Which ACC team will make it the furthest in the tournament?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Senior Spotlight: Isaac Calhoun

Isaac Calhoun joined the RMA family in 6th grade and has since become an unforgettable member of the class of 2024. With a friendly personality and light sense of humor, Isaac is always able to lift our spirits. As close friend Carson Cross explains, “the true meaning of Isaac’s name in Hebrew is ‘laughter,’ and Isaac never fails to make me laugh.”

A good student, Isaac received A-B Honor Roll recognition in 9th, 10th, and 11th grades but didn’t decide to take it easy as a senior. Instead, he has challenged himself by taking AP Environmental Science, Honors Psychology, AP English 12, and Honors Calculus this year. Wanting to keep both his mind and his body in top shape, he rounds out his schedule with Weightlifting. In addition to his schoolwork, Isaac is a member of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and Key Club (which is a service organization) and has participated in many events such as Key Club’s ice cream sales, which raise money for the Holly Project, and the FCA boys’ volleyball tournament. 

Outside of the classroom, Isaac loves sports. He plays outfield in baseball but prefers his position in football. As a lineman on our varsity football team, he and his teammates won the 2023 State Championship–a great end to his senior season! Teammate and fellow senior Cooper Epps says, “Isaac was a great teammate to play football with and never hesitated to cheer all his teammates on. He made those long, hot practices bearable.” As you might be able to tell from his time spent on the football and baseball fields, Isaac loves the outdoors, so he spends his free time hunting deer, ducks, and turkey on the land near his house whenever he can and claims that if he could live anywhere, it would be the mountains. A man of many talents, he also has played the guitar for a few years and is always willing to play for his friends, a group favorite being “Feathered Indians” by Tyler Childers. Finally, Isaac spends a good bit of his time working: he has had many jobs throughout high school, including working in mechanic shops and cleaning deer heads. However, his favorite job so far has been working at Rocky Mount Electric Motor, which he started last summer and continues to do during breaks and weekends. 

Isaac is leaving us and heading to Edgecombe Community College in the fall where he will study business for two years with the hope of then transferring to East Carolina University so that he can graduate with an MBA and one day own his own electrical motor business. With his friendly personality and determination to succeed, we do not doubt that Isaac will achieve all of his goals! 

Get to know Isaac!

What is your favorite movie?

Top Gun: Maverick

If you were trapped on a deserted island, what three things would you bring?

A weapon to defend myself, a Bible, and a lighter

What celebrity would you want to be for two days and why?

Si Robertson (from Duck Dynasty)– he’s living the life.

If you could be any teacher for the day, who would it be and why?

Paul Stone because he has more authority than me

Describe your perfect day at RMA. What would you do? What classes would you take?

I would take weightlifting and sports medicine all day.

What is one lesson you learned at RMA?

How to be nice to anyone regardless of what they think of you.