The student news site of Rocky Mount Academy in Rocky Mount, North Carolina.

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Which ACC team will make it the furthest in the tournament?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Senior Spotlight: Parker Sherrod

We’re happy to say that Parker Sherrod has been part of the RMA family forever! As a “lifer” (a student who started here in Pre-K), he has grown up at RMA, serving as a positive influence on all those around him. I personally have known Parker all 14 years that we have been here together and can say that he is a great friend and classmate. He is also a supportive teammate: Micah Boseman says, “I consider myself lucky to have played football with a guy like Parker. Parker and I have always been really competitive with each other in the weight room and on the football field. He has taught me so much over the years and has made me a better player.” 

Parker has excelled in his coursework during his years at RMA, earning a spot on the A Honor Roll in Grades 9, 10, and 11. Parker’s senior English teacher describes him as having “genuine curiosity and a solid work ethic,” so it’s no surprise he has won multiple academic awards, including Academic Excellence in Biology I, Academic Excellence in Honors French II, and Highest Academic Average in Physical Science. This year Parker is taking Ecology, English 12 Advanced, and Algebra III Trig while also learning about other cultures in his course on World Religions (which is his favorite!). 

Outside of the classroom, Parker is a star on the field and court, playing football, basketball, and baseball. Although he excels at all three–he was named All-State in baseball, Football All-Conference in football, and the state 8-man Football Sacks Leader–baseball is his number-one. Given that he has been playing since he was just three years old, it’s not surprising that in his three seasons of high school baseball, Parker has managed to win six athletic awards for his favorite sport! These include RMA Pitcher of the Year, CIC Baseball Conference Player of the Year, and Baseball All-Conference.

Pursuing his passion, Parker has committed to play for North Carolina Wesleyan University in the fall while studying exercise science. To help him get started, Parker is currently taking Sports Medicine and Weightlifting as he finishes up at RMA. Perhaps he will follow in role model Billy Wagner’s footsteps by going straight from Division III athletics to the pros!

Get to know Parker:

What is your favorite movie or song?

Wolf of Wall Street

If you were trapped on a deserted island, what three things would you bring?

Famous Amos cookies, water, and Margot Robbie

What celebrity would you want to be for two days and why?

Elon Musk– I would send my family a check for half of his money.

What are you looking forward to in college?

Going to watch football games

If you could be any teacher for the day, who would it be and why?

I would be Mrs. Helms so I could stop giving kids homework for a day.

What is your favorite school event? 

The boys volleyball tournament

What will you miss about RMA?

Talking to Mr. Tucker about sports in his office

What is one lesson you learned at RMA?

Do not anger Mr. Henry Coy Herbert!

What is one piece of advice you’d give to an incoming freshman or to your younger self  about high school?

Make it last; it goes by quicker than you think.