The student news site of Rocky Mount Academy in Rocky Mount, North Carolina.

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Which ACC team will make it the furthest in the tournament?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Senior Spotlight: Lainey Overton

This issue’s Senior Spotlight is all about the incredibly kind and friendly Lainey Overton. She is always wanting to strike up a conversation and get to know anyone and everyone. (When she traveled to the UK with other students in summer 2022, she quickly became best friends with a student from New Jersey that she still talks to.) While she can often be soft-spoken, she doesn’t go unnoticed! 

Lainey is a hard-working and determined student. This year she is taking French 4, Ecology, English 12, AFM, Drama, and Ceramics. She loves ceramics so much that she has taken it all four years of high school, and when asked what teacher she would be for a day and why, she says, “Ms. Hunter because I love art.” Through her involvement with the Drama Club, Lainey has participated in High School Musical (9th grade winter play) and Footloose (9th grade spring play), and she plans to participate in Grease this year in the spring. Lainey has also been a cheerleader since freshman year, showing her Eagle spirit.  Unsurprisingly, her favorite event at RMA has been the homecoming dance; she has enjoyed getting dressed up and dancing with her friends. 

In Lainey’s free time, she plays with her dogs or spends time with her family. Lainey is a very family-oriented person and loves to tell you about visiting and traveling with her family. They go on cruises very often to places like the Bahamas, Honduras, Costa Rica, Jamaica, and many others. Her family has been on a total of 28 cruises! Her dream vacation is to go to Hawaii one day with her family. 

When she graduates in the spring, she plans to attend Nash Community College to study in their cosmetology program and hopes to open her own business. She says she’s looking forward to making new memories next year, but she will miss her teachers when she leaves, and we will miss her! 

Get to Know Lainey:

What is a talent of yours that we may not know about?

I used to play volleyball in Middle School.

What is your favorite movie or song?

The Nightmare Before Christmas by Tim Burton

What celebrity would you want to be for two days and why?

Katy Perry because of her music