The student news site of Rocky Mount Academy in Rocky Mount, North Carolina.

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Which ACC team will make it the furthest in the tournament?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Senior Spotight: Carissa Spruill

Describing herself as open-minded, curious, and kind, Carissa Spruill has had a positive influence on her classmates and peers ever since joining the RMA family in seventh grade.

Always a hard worker, Carissa is challenging herself this year by taking French 4, AP Calculus, AP English, and AP Biology, along with writing articles for The Eagle Examiner and continuing her study of piano and voice in Music Performance. Carissa is known to thrive in a classroom environment and has received many academic awards over the years–too many to list!–but those she is proudest of include the Highest Academic Average in AP Chemistry (11th grade), fourth place in the Senior Beta State Convention for French (11th grade), and third place in the Senior Beta State Convention for Science (9th grade). Outside of the classroom, you may find her practicing with the chorus or in the drama room, having starred as Sandy in Annie Jr., Colette in Little Me, and Alice in Mamma Mia. She doesn’t have a favorite play, though, because “there were different things I liked about each of them that made them special.”

In her free time, Carissa enjoys roller skating, reading, playing video games, playing piano, and singing. Many may not know, but she has played piano since she was 7 years old, and it is one of her favorite hobbies. Carissa also sings in a band with her dad called The Speculations, which has played at TBC, Edgecombe Community College, White Sulfur Springs Wedding & Venue, and a venue in Mount Airy. Her favorite song to perform is “Love Shack” by the B-52s because it is a “fun, feel-good song to let go with.” While enjoying this hobby of performing music, Carissa gets to spend more time with her father, which she loves because she is very family-oriented and even says her dad is her role model because “he’s a hard worker, balancing his job [as a doctor] and hobbies (he plays guitar in the band and runs A LOT). I strive to be like him.” Carissa’s favorite place is her grandma’s house, which is out in the country; according to Carissa she loves to go on walks by her house and listen to records on the record player because “it’s peaceful.” All in all, music and family are important parts of her identity.

Ten years from now, Carissa sees herself working in a lab that studies microorganisms such as bacteria, viruses, algae, and fungi after majoring in microbiology. She has applied to NC State, UNC-Chapel Hill, the University of South Carolina, ECU, High Point, and UNCW, all of which would be lucky to have this intelligent and talented young lady!

Get to know Carissa!

What is your favorite movie/song?

My favorite movies are Coraline and Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.

Describe your dream vacation.

My dream vacation would be anything to do with taking in a new culture. Exploring a new place, trying new food, and visiting local attractions.

If you could be any teacher for the day, who would it be and why? 

Dr. O’Brien, because she’s very wise and I’d love to have that wisdom in life.

What will you miss about RMA?

I’ll miss my friends and the school plays each year.

What is one piece of advice you’d give to an incoming freshman or your younger self about high school?

Work hard, but it’s okay to relax and have fun a little bit. As long as you manage your time well, you’ll be okay.

What are you looking forward to in college?

Meeting new people, going to a new school and city, and living on my own.