Alumni Update: Kate Brittain

Anna Scott Wingfield, Photographer

This week’s Alumni Update stars Kate Brittain, a member of RMA’s graduating class of 2007. Learn more about Kate and what she has been up to since graduating in the interview below.

1. Where are you from originally?

I’m from Tarboro, NC.

1. Where did you go to college?

Meredith College in Raleigh.

1. What was your major?

I majored in Theatre with a minor in Communication.

1. Favorite class in college?

I actually took Developmental Psychology, and it was incredibly fascinating.

1. What are your pet peeves?

Loud chewing and mouth breathing!

1. What are your hobbies/interests?

I’m a big reader, I love movies, but being at Wrightsville Beach is my favorite thing in the world.

1. Have you ever been involved with sports, music, art, etc. growing up? If so, elaborate

I played soccer and roller hockey growing up. I was a cheerleader for a few years at RMA, and I played soccer and softball for a number of years, as well. When I was younger, I was in the children’s choir at my church, and then got involved in musicals when I was about 10 years old.

1. Who introduced you to theater?

My parents took me and a group of my friends to see the touring production of “Annie” for my 8th birthday. That was it for me. Then my older brother got involved with musicals, and of course, I wanted to do everything he did.

1. What is your favorite role you have ever played?

Peter Pan, of course! Even with a bum ankle, it was an absolutely incredible experience.

1. Have you had any experiences abroad?

I just went to London this summer, and fell in love with it. I’m hoping to get to attend graduate school in the U.K.

1. What job did you have at Disney World? Did you enjoy it?

I was a Performer at Disney World, and it was the most rewarding experience of my life.

1. If you could pick one moment in your life that defined you, what would it be?

I feel like there have been a lot of defining moments in my life, but if I had to choose it would be going abroad for the first time. I always knew it was a big world, but this experience made me realize there is so much to see and do, and that I want to see and do as much of it as possible.

1. What is something no one knows about you?

It’s not exactly a secret, but I can’t keep myself from ordering fried pickles or cheesecake whenever I see them on a menu (separately, of course).

1. Where do you see yourself in ten years?

Ideally, I’d love to still be acting, and working at a college or university as an acting professor.

1. Who has had the largest impact on your life?

As cliché as it sounds, my parents and my brother- They’ve never discouraged me from going after my dreams, and they’ve always been there to catch me when I fall.

Be sure to check out Kate as Margot Frank in “The Diary of Anne Frank” at the Imperial Centre. Performances are September 24, 25, and 26 at 7:00 p.m. and September 27 at 2:00 p.m.