Faculty Focus: Sra. Maribel Rucci

This year’s first Faculty Focus of the 2015-2016 school year features the new Spanish teacher, Mrs. Maribel Rucci. Sra. Rucci is teaching both Spanish 3 and 4 as well as middle school Global Studies and lower school Spanish. To learn more about our fascinating new Spanish teacher, read the interview below.

Where are you from originally?  I was born in New York, but moved to Puerto Rico when I was three months old. I lived there for 30 years before moving to Rochester, NY.

Where did you go to college?  University of Puerto Rico.

What was your Major?  This might sound surprising but I was studying to be a Dental Hygienist.

What are your hobbies/interests?  I like to quilt, paint, work in my garden, sew, draw, Zumba, dance, and scrapbook.  My friends say they haven’t met a person as creative as me!

What is something that nobody knows about you?  I’m a pretty open book, but something that nobody really knows about me is that I know sign language.  When I moved back to New York from Puerto Rico, my 4th grade neighbor was deaf.  My girls and I wanted to get to know her and play with her, so I went to a book store and got a sign language book. We learned how to sign and my girls became best friends with her.  I even took two courses in sign language.  Another thing people don’t know about me is that I also own five chickens!

Who is someone that made a big impact on your life?  First off, Jesus Christ.  My role model would be Mary Love Todd. She was a first grade teacher that just made you feel like you were the biggest thing in the world.  She died 2 years ago in March. Yesterday (August 25th) was her birthday and she would have turned 66.

What is your biggest pet peeve?  If someone is not honest and lies.

What is your favorite TV show and why?  If you would have asked me a year ago, I would have said Golden Girls but now I really like the Big Bang Theory and Judge Judy.  If that woman would run for president, I would vote for her!

What made you want to come to RMA?  The school I was working for closed, and I worked full time at RM prep.  I came to the international festival and met with Ms. Covolo.  The thing that interested me the most was that RMA has very dedicated and hardworking students with good reputations and I love teaching students that want to learn.

Were you involved in sports, music, art, etc. growing up?  My favorite sport that I did was volleyball but I also participated in tennis, ice skating, ballet, tap, the flamenco, skiing, and roller skating.

What is your dream vacation?  I have been to many places, I love to travel.  I would really love to go to Spain someday.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?  I see myself as a healthy woman.  I want to be healthy when I retire!

Is there anything else you feel we should know about you?  I’m just so excited to be here! I have a passion for teaching and I love when I have successful students.  I want my students to not only learn a language, but a culture.