Alumni Update: Trey Braswell

Lindsey Ross, Photographer

This week’s alumni update features Trey Braswell, member of the RMA class of 2003, husband of faculty member Señora Braswell, and egg farmer. To learn more about the interesting life of Mr. Braswell and learn from his wise words, read the interview below:

1.       Where are you from originally?

Nashville, NC, where God kisses the fields every morning with a beautiful Eastern NC sunrise.  It’s the original Nashville you know! And also the home of the world-renowned Señora Braswell.

2.       Where did you go to college?

North Carolina State University.  It’s midway between the mountains and the beach!  It’s a school rich in agriculture, which I believe is the backbone and lifeblood of our world.

3.       Major? Why did you choose it?

I chose business management because I knew it would keep many doors open. And who wants to go back to school for 10+ years after high school?! 😉

4.      Post Grad school?

After college I said I did not want to go back to school.  But oh my, how I realized how important a great education is once I got started in management.  I worked in the company for several years and decided how critical it was to increase the “tools in my toolbelt” and made the choice to go back to school to get an MBA.  I applied to an awesome executive MBA Program at William & Mary in Williamsburg, VA which would allow me to continue to work full time and complete my degree on the weekends in 2 years. To my surprise they accepted me into the program, I reckon because I went to RMA 😉  And it was well worth it!

5.       What are your hobbies/interests?

Doing life with Wimberly, spending time with great friends and family, and enjoying the beautiful outdoors God has given us by hunting, fishing, walking in the woods, swimming in the waters, bonfires, working out, gardening, working with my hands, [and] seeing people come to know the powerful love of Christ and know how incredible they are.

6.       Have you been involved in sports, music, art, etc. growing up? If so, elaborate.

Soccer, basketball, baseball, a little tennis, piano (til I was old enough for sports and to get distracted by girls).  My word of advice would be to learn an instrument and stick with it. For one, those girls will love it, and two, you most likely won’t play sports after high school, but a musical talent you will have forever.

7.       Have you had any experiences abroad?

I’ve been blessed with a few opportunities. One great one was a trip to Europe that Mrs. Patton lead when I was beginning high school (I believe). We went so many great places and ate so much good food! I’ve also been to New Zealand which was like an adventurer’s paradise. So cool. And going to the British Virgin Islands on our honeymoon was an “egg”cellent experience!

8.       If you had to select one moment in your life that defined you, what would it be?

Unfortunately in my life, like many people, I have let a lot of things define me that shouldn’t.  Maybe because of things that happened to me or things people would say, I believed I was a failure, that I wasn’t cool, or that “I didn’t have what it takes”. But in the last 5-7 years my life has truly started to be defined. I know who I am now! Because of Christ and His sacrifice for me on the cross, I am a big deal, I am loved unconditionally, I am chosen, I have exactly what it takes to be an incredible man, I am the leader and protector.  I am a friend and a lover.

9.       What made you want to pursue your specific career?

Whew, thats loaded. There are a lot of different reasons, some good, some not.  I love agriculture. I know how important it is for the world to function. I mean, we have to have food, and despite popular opinion, it isn’t grown in the back of a grocery store.  I wanted to help my dad run the family business, because he has struggled with physical illnesses for years. And now I see that our family’s business is an excellent platform for serving and glorifying the Lord!

10.       What is something nobody knows about you?

Dang, I gotta tell you the truth, I’m an open book and I’ll share my testimony with anyone, but I’ve told Wimberly recently that one thing people don’t know about me is that I really enjoy the movie Pitch Perfect for some reason. It’s pretty corny, but it’s something about the music and the dancing that gets me excited. I think its because I really can’t sing but I love to and wish  I was good enough to be a worship leader.  And we really dig some dancing.

Also, I really want to get my hands on an old Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 that I can fix up.

11.       Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

With my smokin’ hot wife serving Jesus either right where I am as a leader in agriculture, or anywhere in the world as a missionary. I don’t know what my “job” will be, but I know my purpose.

12.   Describe a person who has made the biggest impact on your life.

There are several people that the Lord placed in my life for very important reasons. To choose one person I would say it was my grandad. His name was Dick Parker and we called him Dick Daddy our whole life. He passed away in May and I had the honor of speaking at his funeral which was hard but a huge gift for me. He taught me so many things that weave the fiber of who I am. He was a lost man that was saved by God’s grace.  He taught me how to hunt, fish, clean and eat what I killed, and to garden. Because of him I could feed my family if the grocery store did not exist.  It’s something every man should know how to do and every man should take the time to teach another man those gifts.  He was very special to me. He loved me for who I was right where I was all the time.

13.   What are your biggest pet peeves?

In the Book of James in the Bible, we are told to let our yes be yes and our no mean no.   This means tell the truth. Be honest. Say what you mean and do what you say. It drives me nuts when people tell you what they think you want to hear and then don’t follow through. It upsets me when I make that same mistake as well. It’s important that we are able to be honest and also to have grace, because we are all imperfect people.

AND another one is that we live in a broken world where we each carry a lot of shame. It hurts me badly to see such incredibly beautiful and gifted people who don’t see themselves as great as they are. EACH and EVERYone of us, from the quietest to the most talkative, from the smartest kid to the most athletic kid are all a BIG DEAL. Our Father created us in His image and He is pleased with each of us. I want people to know how much of a big deal they are.

14.   Describe your dream vacation.

My honeymoon with Wimberly in the BVIs was great! But if I could dream something up it would be a vacation where we could go snow-skiing for a few days, then go kick it in the islands for a few days, and the whole time serve the Lord in some fashion while we are gone. All the while, time stands still so the work at home is not piling up.

To see last week’s Faculty Focus article on Mr. Braswell’s wife, Wimberly, click the link below:

https://eagleexaminer.com/1011/student-life/faculty-focus-wimberly-braswell/