Faculty Focus: Wimberly Braswell

Faculty Focus: Wimberly Braswell

Lindsey Ross, Photographer

This week’s faculty focus features Wimberly Braswell, lower school music teacher, eighth grade Spanish teacher, ninth grade Global Studies teacher, and ninth grade adviser. Mrs. Braswell is the director of all lower school concerts such as last year’s hit, Piñataville.This is her second year teaching here at RMA, so many readers may not know her very well. To learn more about RMA’s ray of sunshine, read the interview below!

1.   Where are you from originally?

A: The Original Nashville – NC!

2.  Where did you go to college?

A: Meredith College in Raleigh NC

3.  Major? Why did you choose it?

A: Music Education – because my flute teacher, Cathy Laffoon, had majored in that and I thought she hung the musical moon!

4.  What are your hobbies/interests?

A: I love dancing with my husband, running and all types of exercises, throwing theme parties, growing flowers, gardening, and cooking eggs!!!

5.  Have you been involved in sports, music, art, etc. growing up? If so, elaborate.

A: I played basketball in 7th-12th grade, backyard football every holiday, capture the flag, and my favorite of all hide and go seek…which I STILL play regularly! I’ve always loved music…singing, dancing, putting on programs…and I took piano and flute from the 3rd grade through college.

6.  Have you had any experiences abroad?

A: In 2010-2011, I moved to the Dominican Republic to serve as a missionary in a community called Hainamosa. There I taught music, Bible, and drama in a small Christian school and served the people in our neighborhood in various other ways.

7.  If you had to select one moment in your life that defined you, what would it be?

A: When I decided to leave it all behind to go serve the Lord in a foreign land. It took a lot of faith and courage to say goodbye to the comforts of our homeland, to my family and friends, to my job and to all I have ever known about myself. But from that experience, my eyes were opened to so much more than this world has to offer! It was worth it all!

8.  What is something nobody knows about you?

A: Growing up, all I ever wanted to be was an actress in old western TV shows! The Big Valley especially 🙂

9.  Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

A: The sky is the limit! Maybe here still producing eggs and teaching or home being a mommy or on some foreign soil being a missionary. We are wide open!

10.   Describe a person who has made the biggest impact on your life.

A: My husband, Trey Braswell! He has helped me to dig deep into my soul and not only find but see those treasures that make me me. The Lord has used him to bring back to life those desires that were at one time surrendered. My heart has never felt such beauty!

11.  What are your biggest pet peeves?

A: An unmade bed and a delayed flight!

12.   Describe your dream vacation.

A: Little Dix Bay, BVI August 2013. 🙂

13.   What is your favorite TV show and why?

A: That’s easy! The Andy Griffith Show!!! I grew up watching it with my family, and since we’ve seen every episode at least 10 times if not more, we have quotes that fit every occasion! My husband has been in training to learn them since we met. 🙂

14.  What is your favorite part about being at Rocky Mount Academy?

A: The traditions, being on E hall and seeing the smiles of my students of all ages!

15.  How long have you been at RMA?

A: This is my 2nd year teaching here, and I am grateful!