Senior Spotlight: Julia High

This week’s Senior Spotlight features RMA lifer and sports stand-out, Julia High. Julia is characterized by her vivacious presence on campus and is known and loved by all around her. She is one to make friends with just about anybody and tries her hardest at everything she sets her mind to. While she is small in stature, Julia makes up for it with her competitive personality, personal drive, and big heart. Amidst a busy schedule (which she is known to stare at for hours on end), Julia manages to exceed in academics, sports, and all of her extracurricular activities. She has won a plethora of awards and honors, but she is always humble which is a true testament of her character. Julia has been a member of the Key Club since 9th grade and is the current Secretary. She is also a member of Fellowship of Christian Athletes, vice-President of Student Booster Club, and a member of the Global Studies Honors Program. Additionally, Julia is a staff member of Media Office as the Marketing Chair her Junior year and the current Social Media Chair, monitoring the Rocky Mount Academy twitter account.

In academics, Julia is a member of the National Honor Society and was a Junior Academic Marshal. She takes a variety of AP and Honors classes and always pushes herself to make good grades. Due to her academic achievements, Julia is also a four-time Turner-Battle Scholarship recipient. She maintains her status on the Honor Roll and has been awarded the Academic English Insight Award and Academic Excellence in Public Speaking. When she has time, Julia works with lower school students after school with homework and test prep to make sure that they too can maintain high grades.

Throughout high school, Julia has played a total of five Varsity sports including tennis, basketball, softball, cross country, and cheerleading. For her work on the tennis court, Julia has been the Conference Player of the Year and All-State Player since her Sophomore year, All-Conference since 8th grade, team MVP since the 8th grade, and Team Captain since her Junior year. In basketball, Julia received the Coach’s Award her 10th and 11th grade years, All-Conference Honorable Mention her Junior year, and Team Captain her Senior year. In softball, Julia received the Coach’s Award her 10th and 11th grade years, All-Conference her Junior year, and Team Captain her Junior and Senior year. Not only has Julia been acknowledged by her school for her numerous athletic achievements, but she has also been awarded the WRAL Extra Effort Award and the Carolina Panthers Community Captain Award.  These awards are not solely based on sports ability, but also academics and community service. They are awarded to well-rounded students who succeed in all aspects of life. Outside of school, Julia is an active volunteer at Camp HOPE, St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church Food Pantry, Boots on the Court, and Stop Hunger Now. During the summer, Julia dedicates her time organizing and coaching a tennis camp for children ages 5-12.

As Julia departs for UNC Chapel Hill in the fall, RMA will surely be missing an incredible person on the field, in the classroom, and walking the halls. Whatever Julia ends up pursuing, it is certain that she will accomplish it with persistence and grace.

To learn more about Julia, read her short interview questions below!

1. Of all your accomplishments and awards, what are you most proud of?

I would have to say either the WRAL Extra – Effort Award or the Carolina Panthers Community Captain Award. They were both such a fun experience and I was lucky to be chosen!

2. You play a variety of sports. What is your favorite sport and why?

This is always the hardest question! I love them all, but tennis is probably my favorite. It’s definitely my best sport and I’ve dedicated the most time to it.

3. What will you miss the most about RMA?

I will definitely miss my friends, teams, teachers, and the family atmosphere of RMA the most!

4. What advice would you give lowerclassmen?

Don’t be “too cool” to try hard in everything you do!

5. What are your pet peeves?

Negative people and when my socks slide down under my heels.

6. What has been your favorite class at RMA?

Honors English 11 with Dr. O’Brien

7. If you could change anything about your senior experience, what would it be?

I would make it slow down!

8. Name your most fond memory of your time at RMA.

That’s a toughy, but probably in 3rd grade at field day when I thought I might not win the 40 yard dash. I went in for the diving finish, ended up fracturing my ankle, securing a strong third place and having to spend the rest of field day on Mrs. Scott’s shoulders.

9. Have you decided where you are going to college? If so, what do you plan on studying?

I am going to Carolina and plan on studying exercise science.

10. What is your favorite long lunch destination?

Well I actually pack my lunch every single day and then take my lunch box and sit with my friends at wherever they decide to go to save money and because my mom makes a mean sandwich, so I don’t really have a long lunch preference 🙂