Alumni Update: Christian Love

Alumni Update: Christian Love

Olivia Turnage, Co-editor

The subject of this week’s RMA alumni update is Ms. Christian Love. However, Ms. Love is no regular alumni, she has returned to work at RMA five years after graduating from our school. While many middle and lower school students identify her as their guidance counselor, most of the high school students and faculty remember her as a former student. Ms. Love attended RMA from 8th-12th grade and she was a very active member of the school’s community; she participated in varsity tennis from 8th-12th grade and she was also a cheerleader. In addition to her athletic participation she was an active member of key club, the Harry Potter Book Club, a member of the National Honor Society, and 11th and 10th grade class representative. Check out our personal interview with one of our newest faculty members.

Q1. What year did you graduate RMA?

A1: I graduated in 2009

Q2: Where did you attend college?

A2: I went to North Carolina State University where I majored in sociology and social work.

Q3. Are you excited to be back at RMA as a teacher?

A3: I am so excited to be back at RMA as a teacher. I love this school so much, and when I was a student here I would truly wake up excited every day to come to school. This is a great community and environment to live and work in every day. Now as a member of the faculty it is honestly hard for me to put into words how much I love my job. I was inspired to be a guidance counselor in the 8th grade by the head of middle school at that time, Mrs. Appleby. The job has brought me more joy than I even expected and I hope that I am bringing equal amounts of joy to the students.

Q4. Have you enjoyed coaching tennis at RMA since you played in high school?

A4: I have enjoyed coaching tennis. I like it better than actually playing! It was really fun to take the JV girls to some away matches. The bus rides are always really fun (and wild). It was a good opportunity for me to hang out with some of my students outside of the classroom and get to know the girls better.

Q5. How has RMA changed since you’ve attended school here?

A5: The biggest difference in RMA since I was a student is the technology. I cannot believe every student has a computer and that every class room has an iPad, projector, and smart board. Honestly some of the stuff I see here is more hi-tech than a lot of the buildings at NCSU. There is a new parking lot in the back and a few new fields. Also the bathrooms behind the tennis court are new, and that is a great addition because we used to have to come back into school! Otherwise though I feel like RMA is still the same, the teachers are still so caring and genuine. I feel like the vibe here is the same: very safe and comfortable, and I think most the people you see walking around campus are truly very happy to be here as it was a few years ago.