2021 Homecoming Recap

Cooper Ams, Print Editor

This past weekend, RMA hosted its 2021 Homecoming festivities. Leading up to the weekend, students had the opportunity to show off their school spirit during Spirit Week, where each day had a different theme for students to dress accordingly. Starting off the week on Monday was Pajama Day. Being one of the more popular themes, students showcased their comfy pajamas at school. On Tuesday, the theme was Tacky Tuesday, where students went all out to see who could dress the tackiest. Wednesday was Holiday Day, where students were encouraged to dress up in clothes that showed their favorite holiday. Next was Jersey Day, which is personally my favorite. On Jersey Day, students are encouraged to wear their favorite team’s colors and show how big of a fan they are. Finally, the week ended with Spirit Day, which was a day for students to show off their RMA pride. As always, Spirit Week at RMA did not disappoint this year!

Friday ended with more fun activities. All students attended a pep rally, where fall sport athletes were recognized for their hard work and dedication to their respective sport. In addition, the lower school and varsity cheerleaders put on a show, getting everybody excited to show their school spirit. Along with the cheerleaders, the Off-Road Truckers performed their rendition of “We Will Rock You.” The pep rally finished off with the Homecoming Court being recognized and the Homecoming King being crowned. This year, Christian Sawyer was named Homecoming King. The pep rally was a huge hit this year, as it left the students ready to watch the Homecoming football game later that night. 

After the pep rally, RMA athletics began to compete for the rest of the day. Middle school, JV, and Varsity volleyball all won their matches, as our varsity girls continue their undefeated season. Additionally, varsity girls tennis won their match on Friday, continuing their strong season. JV and Varsity boys soccer also added a win next to their names. The night then ended with the Varsity boys football game against Parrott Academy. During halftime of the game, Shelton Honey was named the 2021 Homecoming Queen. Sadly, the Eagles were not able to win the game, but the RMA family was there to support them nonetheless. Friday was quite the day for RMA athletics.

On Saturday morning, the tennis tournament, Tennis for Tyler, was hosted by Mary Kimbrell Livermon, where teams of two competed against each other to honor the life of Tyler Strandberg, an RMA alumni who sadly lost her life a couple of years ago. The tournament was a success, as it brought RMA students and members of the community together for some friendly competition. After Tennis for Tyler, students went home and got ready for what some people considered the main event: The Homecoming Dance. The dance took place in the courtyard, and was a success. While it was not in the cafeteria like usual, it was still fun. This year’s Homecoming went well, and we can not wait until next year!