Faculty Focus: Maggie Barry

Cooper Ams, Print Editor

This week’s Faculty Focus is on RMA’s newest English teacher, Maggie Barry! Ms. Barry joined the RMA family this summer and has quickly made an impact on our school. She is originally from Federal Way, Washington, where she was born and raised until the age of 13. At the age of 13, her family moved to Hermiston, Oregon because of her father’s work. After moving to Hermiston, Ms. Barry lived there until she moved to Rocky Mount to start teaching here at RMA.

Ever since her high school years, Ms. Barry has always wanted to pursue a career in teaching. After graduating from high school, she attended Eastern Oregon University to pursue a degree in Elementary Education. After receiving her degree, she started her teaching career but soon decided to return to school to get her Master’s in Teaching English as a Second or Other Language from Grand Canyon University. Before coming to RMA, she taught for seven years in Oregon, teaching 2nd, 3rd, and 5th grade English classes and ESL (English as a Second Language) classes. When asked why she wanted to become a teacher, Ms. Barry said, “I have always loved working with kids. I love their quirky personalities and brutally honest observations!”

In addition to teaching, Ms. Barry also enjoys participating in multiple extracurricular activities, including reading, hiking, and spending time with family. In high school, she was active in her school’s athletic program, as she was a part of the track and field team. The specific races that she competed in were the 100 and 200-meter sprints. We are glad to have Ms. Barry here at RMA and can not wait to see what the future holds!

Get to know Ms. Barry Below!

• What is something nobody knows about you?- The only thing I have ever stolen in my life was dirt. My dad needed a very specific type of dirt for his model railroad, so one night we went out and stole some dirt from a construction site.
  • Where do you see yourself in 10 years?- I am hoping I will still be here, teaching at RMA in 10 years.
  • Describe a person who has made the biggest impact on your life. – My Grandpa Bill has made the biggest impact in my life. He was the kindest and most caring person I have ever known.
  • What are your biggest pet peeves?- My biggest pet peeve is people eating with their mouths open.
  • Describe your dream vacation.- My dream vacation would be anywhere warm and tropical.
  • What is your favorite TV show and why?- My favorite TV show is Friends. It’s the best!
  • What is your favorite part about being at Rocky Mount Academy?- My favorite part of being at RMA is the people, everyone has been so kind and welcoming, I am really enjoying my time here!