2021 Ann Weaver Recipient: Isabella Daza

Lindsay Boyette, Photographer

Since 1986, Rocky Mount Academy has awarded the Ann MacPherson Weaver Memorial Scholarship to a nonenrolled rising 9th, 10th, or 11th grade student. The Ann MacPherson Weaver Memorial Scholarship is in memory of a 1984 RMA graduate who succumbed to cancer. The scholarship is awarded to a worthy candidate who best represents the characteristics of Ann MacPherson Weaver: a selfless and caring disposition, a keen intellect, and exemplary leadership skills. To receive this competitive scholarship, one must self-nominate, be nominated by a member of the Rocky Mount Academy staff, or be nominated by the Rocky Mount community at large. Nominees must undergo a rigorous evaluation of one’s resume, while also finishing the selection process with an in-person interview. The chosen candidate receives tuition paid in full until graduation. The selected recipient is not the only one who wins in this process, as RMA does too by gaining a valuable addition to the Rocky Mount Academy family! 

The 2021 Ann MacPherson Weaver Memorial Scholarship was recently awarded to Isabella Nicole Daza. Isabella is currently an 8th grade student at Red Oak Middle School in Red Oak, North Carolina. When asked about why she was interested in pursuing this scholarship, Isabella responded, “I wanted to apply for the Ann Weaver Memorial Scholarship because I heard of some of the programs that are offered there, and it instantly sparked my interest. From what I know, they (RMA) allow you to become more independent, reach out for help, be creative, and love what you do, which will ultimately help you later on in college and in life.” 

Academically, Isabella is a strong, well-rounded student. Isabella especially thrives in history, which is her favorite subject due to her love for different cultures. Not only does Isabella excel in the classroom, but she also excels outside the classroom. Outside of the classroom, Isabella plays volleyball, basketball, cross country, school soccer, and travel soccer in Raleigh. She competes on Red Oak Middle School’s Battle of the Books team and volunteers with the Coopers Ruritan Club. As one can tell, Isabella is a very busy girl. If she ever gets a free minute, she spends it reading. Isabella exclaims, “I am a huge bookworm. Once I start a book that I really enjoy, my nose will probably stay in it for hours!”

Isabella is a versatile girl, but what stands out the most about her is her attitude. Isabella is always positive and has an optimistic attitude, which is rare for someone her age. She has the ability to look at life through many different lenses and from many different angles in order to find the good in everything. Rocky Mount Academy is so excited Isabella is coming to our school in the fall. She is going to be such an asset to the class of 2025. Congratulations, Isabella. We are so excited to have you join our family!