Middle School Student Acts as Tech Support

Rocky Mount Academy was founded on the core values of academics, character, and community. A prime example of community here at RMA is the willingness of students to help one another. Seventh grader Ishan Patel shows this characteristic through his knowledge of technology as a computer whiz who shares his knowledge with his fellow classmates.

Ishan’s knowledge of technology began when he started playing video games. Ishan had to look up how to download different things for his games and learned that he was naturally computer savvy. When Ishan’s technology teacher, Mrs. Robbie Davis, realized his natural abilities, she allowed him to stray away from the class’s basic curriculum and do things that were more his speed. When asked about Ishan Mrs. Davis said, “Ishan has a huge knowledge base of the computer and how it works. It was only fair to let him share that knowledge in a way that would challenge him, but also be useful to our school community”. Ishan has started a YouTube channel where he plans to upload tutorials for the new Surface tablets that RMA may make the switch to next school year.

Ishan has made two tutorials so far and plans to upload them in the near future. He has made one on how to turn the Surface on and off and another on how to pin things to the task bar. Ishan films and edits the videos on his own. He plans to make more videos in the future on basic tasks at first and then hopes to make them on more complex functions. When asked why he makes the tutorials Ishan responded, “I want teachers and students to be able to use the tablets easily and without hang-ups after viewing my tutorials”.

In addition to the tutorials that Ishan makes, he is also “tech support” for the middle school hall. Whenever students or teachers have questions about their Lenovo’s or Surface’s they go to Ishan. Mrs. Davis commented on Ishan’s helpfulness saying, “[The tutorials] are just one of the many ways Ishan supports his fellow classmates”.

Be sure to be on the lookout for Ishan’s soon-to-be released video tutorials!