Class of 2015 Busy at Work in College Application Process

Class of 2015s top college choices if accepted

Class of 2015’s top college choices if accepted

It’s that time of year again. Seniors have feverously been working on their worst nightmare, college applications. This is when students begin pulling out all their awards, requesting transcripts, perfecting essays, and looking into scholarship opportunities. All of this is hard work; not to mention other homework and tests going on in each of their classes. It’s an understatement to say that the senior class is stressed. Meg Deyton, who has to do an extra application for her nomination for the Park Scholarship to NC State on top of all of her other applications, describes it as “a lot of work and stress, but hopefully all be worth it in the end.” Many other students are feeling the same way as Meg whether they are just beginning their applications or have just hit submit and are anxiously awaiting that coveted acceptance to the college of their choice.

As far as applications go, there are many different type of applications and dates of submission. Most students will submit their applications online through the college’s website, the Common App, or CFNC. The Common App is a website that gives students the ease of entering all of their information at once and submitting that application to several colleges. The only problem with this system is that the Common App does not include all United States colleges and universities, so sometimes it is just as easy to do the application on the college’s website. Along with the different types of applications are the dates of submission mentioned earlier. These dates include early decision (binding), early action (non-binding), and regular decision. For those of you who do not know, the early decision (binding) means that if you apply and get accepted then that is the college you have committed to attend the next fall. Amy Lerro notes, “I like the binding application to Wake Forest because I know where I want to go and if I am accepted there I will not have to choose. Also, it will hopefully help my chances of being accepted.” This is true in the fact that a higher percentage of students will be accepted if they submit early decision (binding).

The part of the application that seniors either love or hate is the essay portion. This is the time for students to really show who they are outside of all the information, extracurricular activities, and community service hours. Part of the acceptance process for a college includes a detailed look at the essay. Colleges want to see what type of person you are, what hardships you have faced, what are the most important things in your life, and what you see in your future. Most of the time these essays are around 650 words or less; however, there are other miniature essays to give colleges an even better look into the life of their candidate. Colby Kirkpatrick enthusiastically states, “I love condensing my life into 270 characters!”

None of this would be at all possible without the help of Ms. Daniel and  the other RMA teachers who spend hours writing dozens of recommendation letters. Ms. Daniel thinks that it is great that three applications have already been submitted and that the senior class is off to a great start. I, along with all of my fellow classmates would just like to thank everyone that contributes in some way, shape, or form to the seniors’ application processes. We could not do it without you!