Beloved “Bernie” Capps

Caroline Gay, Photographer

For over 40 years, Clarence Bernard “Bernie” Capps served as an athletic trainer for Rocky Mount High School. On Sunday, February 10th, at just 73 years young, Mr. Bernie Capps peacefully passed away. Rocky Mount High School posted, “Coach Capps was a beloved figure throughout his tenure at Rocky Mount High School who had a tremendous impact on both the student-athletes he took care of on the field and court as well as the students he taught in class and mentored in the training room.” He also helped with athletic events at Rocky Mount Academy and Edwards Middle School. He was inducted into the N.C. Athletic Trainers Association Hall of Fame in 2003, showing his dedication and hard work that paid off. “Mr. Capps was also a ‘Football Friday’ staple. He was part of many show opens and called the television station each week to deliver area scores. He was in the show open for many years saying, ‘It’s Friday night!’’ (highschoolot.com)

Known for his vivacious spirit around young people, Mr. Capps would always offer a Blow Pop to those who walked by with a big smile on his face. RMA Alumni, Landon Clontz and Jackson Browder, comment on Mr. Capps, saying “This is super sad news. Bernie was a legend and such a good guy.” The David Family commented on Facebook, “One of a kind, Bernie was a fine man and a significant influence for good in others’ lives. Our Family is privileged to have known him. We certainly can’t top what Heaven has to offer in regards to their Blow Pops, but we can continue sharing Bernie’s love here with what Fred’s Club has to offer. One place I know for sure Bernie received his from. Rest In Peace My Friend; You Will Never Be Forgotten…” Mr. Bernie Capps touched many lives throughout his 73 great years on this earth, and he will always remain dear to us. Terrell Hudgins said, “Coach Capps was a prime example why you do not judge a book by its cover. To some, he looked like an old grouchy man, but to most, he was a blow-pop giving, phone call making, good soul that cared for everyone’s well-being. Bernie was a great man who’s already being missed.”

A Celebration of Bernie’s Life will be held on Sunday, February 24 at 3:00 pm in the chapel of Wheeler & Woodlief Funeral Home with Dr. Jody Wright officiating. Burial will follow the service at Pineview Cemetery. The family will receive friends and relatives on Saturday, February 23 from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm at Wheeler & Woodlief Funeral Home.