Senior Spotlight: Haven Ross

Georgia Morris, Co-Editor

If there is one person in the senior class who perfectly embodies the spirit of RMA, that person would be Haven Ross. Everyone knows Haven for her outgoing personality, killer sense of humor, and welcoming heart. Haven is truly a friend to all, which is evident through her connection to people of all ages. Little kids run up to Haven to say “hello” and adults always stop her to have a nice conversation. Haven’s spirit truly draws people to her.

Haven never fails to amaze others with her dedication to her studies. She keeps an extremely rigorous course load filled with AP and honors courses. This year she is taking AP Calculus, AP Photography, AP Literature, and AP Psychology. She also writes for the Eagle Examiner and is one of only three students in Spanish 4 honors. Although she has a very busy schedule, Haven does not let her time spent learning get cut short. If Haven wants to pursue more knowledge about or practice with a subject, she can be found in her teachers’ classrooms during her free-time.

Another thing that Haven is very well-known for is her talent on the tennis court. Haven has been playing tennis for almost all of her life and began playing for RMA’s varsity team when she was only in the seventh grade. This year, she ended her RMA tennis career in the perfect way when the varsity girls’ tennis team won the state championship! Haven’s physical talent can also be seen on the basketball court and the soccer field, and this year she will be throwing discus for the track and field team for the first time! And when there isn’t a team practice, Haven can be found at the YMCA, lifting or taking a cycling class.

Part of the reason that Haven does so much may simply come from her love of trying new things. Her diverse course load, interest in foreign language, and participation in various new sports all exemplify this love. Haven also loves to travel and experience new cultures. She has visited places like Scotland, Costa Rica, and Italy. Her time in Costa Rica was spent with a local church group building a church and getting close with the local people. Haven hopes to go on the trip again this summer.

With a schedule as busy as Haven’s, many would think that she wouldn’t have much time to do things outside of school. However, Haven does so much! On the weekends, Haven works at the tennis shop at Benvenue Country Club. If you drive by on a Saturday or a Sunday, you can often see her maintaining the courts! She is also very involved with church. Haven is an active member of First Presbyterian and loves going to youth group, contributing to church services, and participating in community service. And on top of it all, Haven is a very family-centered person. Usually if you see Haven, you see her little sister Charlotte following closely behind. I couldn’t imagine a better role model for a young sibling than Haven.

Haven’s dedication to academics and athletics and all of her achievements have definitely paid off. This past month, she committed to UNC Chapel Hill! Everyone knows that she will go on to do amazing things in Chapel Hill and will continue to leave her mark wherever she goes. Haven is a truly unique member of the senior class. There is simply no one else like her and the entire senior class would be different without her. Anyone who meets Haven is lucky to have done so. Haven has been spreading light and cheer throughout RMA for the past 13 years, and she will surely be missed after graduation.

To learn more about Haven, read below!

1. What is your current favorite song?

“The Devil Went Down to Georgia” is an all-time fave.

1. What do you love most about tennis?

It is the best sport ever, so I have so many things I could say! It is an amazing form of exercise, and it truly is a sport you can play for your whole life! You form such a close bond from the team atmosphere, and you get a killer tennis tan and sock tan year round!

1. Who is your role model?

Most definitely my mother

1. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Hopefully finished with school and settling down into a good job with my pet corgi by my side!

1. When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?

I just remember always wanting to live in an igloo, so I guess some type of Arctic explorer.

1. What will you miss most about home when you leave?

I will miss my awesome family, my parents’ basically gourmet cooking, playing with my corgi, and my bed.

1. What is one little known fact about you?

I love corgis! Just kidding, everyone knows that. I have had sixteen teeth pulled Dr. Crestetto.

1. What is your favorite thing to watch on Netflix?

Well, it is hard to choose just one. I love The Office, Parks and Rec, Criminal Minds, Mr. Robot, and West Wing.

1. What is your favorite quote?

“Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn” John Maxwell

1. What is your favorite RMA memory?

Either seeing everyone’s faces after winning the 2019 NCISAA State Tournament for Tennis or when I came to school in second grade the day my sister was born so I could keep up my good attendance