Top Works of Literature We Read for School

Ann Sumner Thorp, Editor-In-Chief

Since the creation of the printing press and formal education, students worldwide have dreaded assigned reading, especially when it is given over the summer. It serves as just another reminder that summertime is over, and school is starting back up again. However, despite this stereotype that all assigned reading is boring, forced, and tedious, many of the classic works assigned by RMA faculty are actually good. Not as good as not having to read them, but better than we hear from students at other schools. As seniors, we have come to appreciate many of the famous literary works that were initially seen as just another “book we have to read.” Below is a list compiled by the Media Office staff of the top six literary works we have read throughout our time at RMA. I will provide a brief description in hopes you might consider reading them before they are assigned.

1.       To Kill a Mockingbird

By far one of the more popular works we have been assigned. After reading this in eighth grade, classmates were hooked, and some students were heard discussing it outside of class.  Amazing, right? To Kill a Mockingbird quickly found its place among my favorites. It follows the childhood of Scout Finch, as she learns from the wisdom of her father Atticus, struggles to understand society, and goes on a curious adventure to find out more about the mysterious Boo Radley. A timeless story with classic characters, this novel will forever be a favorite among the members of the Media Office.

1.       Catcher in the Rye

Junior year can be chaotic, stressful, and full of schoolwork, but this summer reading definitely helped get the year off on the right foot. The main character, Holden Caulfield, is easy to understand and even identify with as he struggles to grow up in society. Though students may not agree with some of his choices or pessimism, this book was still well-received throughout our grade. Holden’s iconic humor put a few smiles on faces before the start of the school year, and his unique perspective on life, society, and the value of adolescence will always remain prominent throughout its time under the title of a classic.

1.       Edgar Allan Poe

When you first see this famous author’s name, terms like “morbid,” “death,” and “scary” come to mind. However, after being exposed to some of his intriguing short stories and the famous poem, “The Raven,” my classmates have found Poe’s writing to lean more towards being interesting and exciting. After first seeing his name in eighth grade with “The Tell-Tale Heart,” which focused on the guilty conscience of a murderer, we all wanted to read more. Our focus then shifted to “The Mask of Red Death,” in ninth grade, and then again junior year when we read “The Fall of the House of Usher.” We also saw another side to Poe’s writing with “The Raven.” Though not quite as scary as the other stories, this poem was still one that provided intrigue. The further we dove into its intricate details, the more we discovered. These discoveries were then carried back and applied to the short stories we had previously read, analyzing those as well. Overall, don’t let Poe’s morbid stories scare you away from an exciting adventure.

1.       Thanatopsis

On a completely different note, “Thanatopsis” focused on living life. It describes how our time on earth is short, and that we should make the most of every moment. Instead of being shown in a morbid fashion, death is presented as a natural process of life and not something that we should be afraid of. With a special focus on the beauty of nature, “Thanatopsis” was a refreshing outlook on life, providing a stark contrast to Poe’s works. Even though poetry is not everyone’s favorite pastime, this poem is well worth your while with its beautiful language and timeless lesson.

1.       Revolutionary War Literature

This category encompasses multiple works by famous war heroes whose writings helped inspire the patriotic spirit that rallied the colonies together. The first is Ben Franklin’s Poor Richard’s Almanac. With his clever wit and great advice, who wouldn’t love reading this classic work? The next famous work involves these immortal words, “Give me liberty, or give me death!” With the sound of that sentence, Patrick Henry is immediately remembered and admired for his courage. Dr. O’Brien introduced his speech to our class, and we were able to read it in its entirety before moving on to another great work written by Thomas Paine, Common Sense. All three of these works, with two focusing on patriotism and the other teaching about the practicalities of life, helped give a personal aspect to the time period that the history textbooks don’t always show.

1.       Huckleberry Finn

This timeless tale has captured the minds of countless generations, and that legacy has been continued at RMA. Following Jim and Huck throughout their many adventures, this book became the topic of many research papers for my classmates. After discussing in depth the symbolism, characterization, and setting of the novel, many felt that it was one of the best works that we had read so far in the year. Though the story as a whole has a more serious tone, Huck and Jim’s extraordinary circumstances throughout the novel bring on laughter and excitement as they interact with con men, get mixed up in a family feud, and make their way down the river. These unforgettable characters have definitely become favorites among RMA’s students.