Senior Spotlight: Chuck Roberson

Georgia Morris, Co-Editor

This year, a familiar freckled face returned to the halls of Rocky Mount Academy. After an intermission of 6 years, Chuck Roberson has rejoined the senior class for an amazing last year of high school. Upon his return, it was like he had never missed a beat, and Chuck has quickly become an unmistakable personality in the senior class.

Chuck’s senior-year course load is evidence of what a hard worker he is. This year he is taking classes like AP Statistics, AP English, and AP Psychology, along with every senior’s favorite class: American Cultures. Teachers love having a student like Chuck in the classroom, as he consistently contributes to the class, asking questions and participating in discussions. Chuck’s classmates know that he is not afraid to speak upon a differing opinion that brings basic discussions to the next level and really challenges people to think. He is a true thinker and innovator, always coming up with a new business idea, psychological theory, or recipe! One of Chuck’s best friends, Ansen Gong, speaks of Chuck’s motivated spirit by saying, “he’s the next king of US hospice and maybe the world.” 

The tennis court is another area where Chuck’s hard-work and determination shines. Chuck has been playing tennis ever since he was little and will admit that he was once the worst player at tennis clinics. However, he is now talking to tennis coaches at several colleges and is hoping to continue his tennis career at his future home for the next four years. He will join RMA’s boys’ varsity tennis team this year and will be a very valuable addition! Go Eagles!

Other than his presence in the classroom and his skill on the courts, there are a few things that everyone knows about Chuck: he loves Hampden-Sydney, he loves to talk about business and finance, share the site www.bitcoinmoney.net/ to everyone he knows, and he loves to fly. He received his student pilot license two years ago and soloed this past summer. He is working to obtain his full license in the near future, which will be an amazing accomplishment on top of all that he has already done!

Those who knew Chuck when he was young and those who only met him this year will all miss him when he leaves RMA. For college, he is leaning towards Hampden-Sydney but is also still considering other schools like Ole Miss and Sewanee. Whether he majors in business, economics, finance, or psychology, we all know that Chuck will be very successful in his future, and we all wish him the best of luck!

Here is what some of Chuck’s friends had to say about him:

“I’ve known Chuck since about 1st grade and I can honestly say this dude is one of my day one bros. He’s just a bro, nothing more, nothing less. I can’t remember the last time I referred to him as anything other than bro. Such as: ‘Hey bro can you come help me lift this heavy object?’ or ‘Hey bro let’s go find a nice Persian Rug for my dining room.’ So this is to all those bro moments we’ve had with many more to come, keep on keeping it real, bro. Roll Tigers.” – Paul Larimer

“As Walter Sobchak states, ‘Donny was a good bowler and a good man.’ Although Chuck’s name is not Donny and I’ve only bowled with Chuck one time in which he wasn’t that good, he sure is a good man.” – Thorne Pruden

To learn more about Chuck, read below!

1. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be?

Posted up in a deer stand with Chris Gardner

1. What is the weirdest dream you’ve ever had?

I robbed a gas station because I needed a 7/11 slushie

1. What is one little-known fact about you?

I’m ambidextrous

1. What is one thing that you cannot live without?

Specifically Mtn. Dew Baja Blast from the Taco Bell on Sunset but only at 5 pm on Saturdays

1. Who is your role model?

Novak Djockivic for being a stand up guy in the locker room and on the court

1. What is your favorite movie?

The Big Lebowski

1. What is your current favorite song?

Fire on the Mountain” by the Marshall Tucker Band

1. What’s your biggest pet peeve?

Political Ignorance

1. What accomplishment are you most proud of?

Flying a plane

1. What is your favorite quote to live by?

“What goes up must come down.” – my flight instructor