Senior Spotlight: Thomas Boyette

Georgia Morris, Co-Editor

This week’s senior spotlight is on a one of a kind student, Thomas Boyette. Although he comes in a set with his twin brother, Mercer, Thomas has an unmistakable personality and has left his mark on this year’s senior class.

Thomas came to RMA his freshman year after leaving Greenfield School in Wilson. Throughout his high school career, he has maintained a rigorous course load of honors and many AP courses. Many of these classes I have shared with Thomas, and they surely would not have been the same without him. I don’t know that I have ever met a person so concerned with and dedicated to doing well in school (besides his brother perhaps). This aspect of his personality definitely pays off in the classroom. Outside of the classroom, Thomas also excels on the field. He has been playing soccer since he was three years old and was a key player on the RMA varsity boys’ soccer team his freshman, sophomore, and junior years. Last year, he played football along with soccer, so he was part of the State Championship winning team, and this year he made the switch to kicking for the football team only.

Like his performance in the classroom and on the fields, Thomas also gives his all in the clubs in which his is involved. Thomas is an active member of National Honors Society, CARE Club, Youth and Government and Key Club! He is Secretary of NHS and the Publicity Chair of CARE Club. In Youth and Government, Thomas worked with a group to create and propose a bill his freshman year, and for the past two years he has argued cases in the appellate court! In addition to school clubs, Thomas has been doing Boy Scouts for years and earned his Eagle Scout ranking during his sophomore year after power washing and painting 30 fire hydrants around Barton College.

Outside of RMA, Thomas can usually be found on another soccer field or hanging out with his brother and their best friends. These boys are very lucky to be able to call Thomas a friend, as am I. Thomas is one of the funniest and most unique people I have ever met, and he isn’t afraid to tell you how it is. When asked about Thomas, Jackson Stone, one of his friend’s from Wilson, said, “Growing up with Thomas as my best friend has been a blessing. The memories I have of him nailing threes in middle school basketball and scoring goals in JV soccer will never fade, and I wouldn’t trade them for anything. I’m also glad to say I think I’ve seen sides of Thomas that very few people have. If you get to know him he’s super outgoing and quite hysterical; he never fails to make me laugh. Overall his personality and loyalty as a friend are unmatched, and he is just a great guy all around. I can’t wait to see what’s in store for him, but I can certainly guarantee he has a bright future, and his best friend will be along for the ride.”  I think that says it all, and we all can’t wait to see what Thomas does!

To learn more about Thomas, read the interview questions below!

1. What colleges are you applying to? Which one is your top choice?

NCSU, UNC, University of South Carolina, UNCW, and maybe one or two more. I don’t know what my top choice is.

1. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live and why?

I really want to live in Charlotte, NC because it has all of the major sports team in NC and is close to the beach and the mountains.

1. What is your favorite long lunch destination?

Tokyo Express

1. What has your favorite class been at RMA? Why?

Sports management with Coach Berry because I learned how to be really good at filling up water coolers.

1. What is one thing that you can’t live without?

Fantasy Football

1. If you had to pick three words to describe you, what would they be and why?

Too hard of a question Georgia!!!

1. What is something most people don’t know about you?

I did not care about school until I got into High School

1. What is your biggest pet peeve?

Mercer’s driving

1. What is one of your favorite memories from RMA?

Watching Mercer accept and fulfill a dare to make a half court shot at a basketball game.

1. What advice would you give to underclassmen?

Try your best in ninth grade because it only gets harder.

1. 11. How long have you been playing soccer?

From the age of 3 until now. And then I made the switch to the real futbol.