What’s on Your Mind?

Ann Sumner Thorp

Have you ever walked across campus and wondered what is going through the minds of other students and teachers? Yes, we are here for an education, but what else occupies the thoughts of RMA students and staff besides academics? As a way to get to know some of the RMA family, I asked a variety of questions to students and staff to find out exactly what people think about when sitting in class or walking in the courtyard on the way to lunch. Let’s take a look at their responses:

1.    If you could fly anywhere in the world right now, where would you go and why? “Sidney, Australia because it has tons of cool animals.” – Owen Lord (6th)
  1.    Favorite movie and character/actor in that movie? Sound of Music with Julie Andrews.” – Mrs. Tempie (faculty)
  1.    You’re stranded on a desert island, what three things do you bring? “My America, a Narrative History book, Gone with the Wind, and some food.” – Coy Herbert (faculty)
  1.    Favorite Disney princess and why? “Mal from Descendants because her hair is purple.” – Chambers Barnhill (Pre-K)

1.    What are your spring break plans? “We are heading to Atlanta, Georgia for a week to watch Mackenzie (my youngest daughter) play volleyball.” – Robbie Davis (faculty)
  1.    What are you doing over the summer? “Visiting family in Florida.” – Luc Garabrant (12th)
  1.       Who do you think will win the NCAA? “Nevada.” – Paul Larimer (11th)
  1.       If you could have any superpower, what would it be and why? “To be able to control water, because I like water, and I can see through it.” – Nicolas Dupont (5th)

1.       Favorite Superhero? “Superman.” – Nehemiah Nottingham (Pre-K)

1.   What do you enjoy most about your current class? “We have such a good time, and they’re cooperative. We can have fun, and they know when to get back to work. I just love them!” – Mrs. Locke (faculty)
  1.   If you could have any job in the world, what would it be and why?
  • “A bus driver in Seattle, because I love to drive around and go on rides, and I love Seattle.” – Georgia Morris (11th)
  • “I would want to work at the Extraterrestrial Communications Center in Chile, because that’s where they send radio waves into space to try to find other life forms. Plus, I really like the X-Files, so this job would be perfect for me.” – Virginia Wooten (11th)
  • “An author because I love to write and share my ideas and make people feel like they have a character that they can identify with. I also would love to be an astronaut just because I want to know what pop-tarts taste like in space.” – Holly Brantley (12th)
  • “I just want to live in an igloo. Plus, I would get to see the northern lights all the time.” – Haven Ross (11th)
  1.   Coke or Pepsi? “Coke, because America was founded on Coke.” – Carolina Gay (11th)
  1.   Would you rather have tea with the Queen of England or ride on Air Force One? “Definitely tea with the Queen of England.” – Jan Walton (faculty)
  1.   Favorite Pixar Movie? Wall-E, because it is very funny and interesting.” – Nan Barnhill (5th)

1.   Favorite Class? “STEAM.” – Elizabeth Chesnutt (2nd)

After walking around campus and meeting students and staff beyond those I interact with on a daily basis, I realized the importance of building and growing relationships with those outside of our own grade. Through programs such as the Buddy System, older students get to know those in the lower grades and make an impact on them by acting as role models. I hope that this article will start the “ball rolling” on the growth of relationships between RMA students and staff, and that it will prove the power of a few “would-you-rather” questions in getting to know someone new. My challenge to you is to reach out to new people whether they be older or younger and get to know them, maybe even starting a conversation with a classic “would-you-rather” question.