Faculty Focus: Mr. Coy Herbert

Haven Ross

Since he began working at RMA in August, Mr. Herbert has quickly become a favorite teacher among his students! Mr. Herbert teaches history to middle school students. Not only does he teach his students valuable lessons of generations past, but he also introduces them to different ways of learning. This year is not the first time Mr. Herbert has roamed these halls; he is a member of the 2010 graduating class! Mr. Herbert took a challenging course load at RMA, including AP history classes with Mr. Stone and Mr. Stancavish. He used his knowledge in the Quiz Bowl Club and he starred on Brain Game twice for RMA! Not only did he shine in the classroom, but Mr. Herbert also excelled in the arts. He portrayed his talents in AP Art during his senior year. Mr. Herbert won first prize in the Spring Arts show that year. Look up at the ceiling in P Hall, and you may catch Mr. Herbert’s ceiling tile featuring a man hanging his feet over the edge! RMA is beyond happy to welcome Mr. Herbert back to campus!

Mr. Herbert furthered his education at NC State. He earned his BS in Middle Grades Language Arts and Social Studies and a minor in History. He ended with his Masters in Secondary Social Studies! Outside of school, Mr. Herbert is dedicated to horses. He participated in Nash County 4-H from 2003 to 2011, and his love for horses has stuck with him throughout the years. Mr. Herbert enjoys riding and showing American Quarter Houses in western all around events! Read the interview below to learn more about RMA’s newest addition to the history department!

To learn more about Mr. Herbert, please read the interview below!

1. I understand you grew up around horses. What is your favorite show name you’ve ever come across? There’s a lot of good ones I could think of. A friend of mine, whose legal name is Brittany Spears, got her current horse as a yearling and after much coaxing decided to register it as Hitmebabywonmoretime. The only slight drawback is that she is getting married this summer, so her last name is going to change, but it’s still pretty funny.

1. What is your favorite history lesson to teach? As a history enthusiast I really enjoy the Antebellum era and the Civil War. But in terms of units that I have taught, Reconstruction, World War I, and then our last unit on the 20s and 30s were more fun.

1. What is a little known fact about you? It’s not really about me, but I did my student teaching at Wakefield Middle School in northeast Raleigh. My cooperating teacher was Gina DeBose. Her daughter, Arianna DeBose, was in the original cast of Hamilton. So basically, Lin Manuel Miranda and I are best friends.

1. If you could only watch one movie for the rest of your life, what movie would it be? Gone With the Wind or Lawrence of Arabia

1. Where would you take your dream vacation? Europe, anywhere, all of it

1. What is the best advice you have ever been given? I don’t know

1. What is your spirit animal? Porcupine

1. How would you spend a $10,000 lottery prize? On my horses

1. Who is your role model? Cary Grant

10. What is your favorite food and least favorite food? My favorite food is pasta, of all kinds and varieties, and my least favorite food is mushrooms or beans.