Faculty Focus: Lisa Stone

Faculty Focus: Lisa Stone

Haven Ross

All students at Rocky Mount Academy have been lucky enough to have been graced by the presence of Mrs. Stone. Even if it was just a brief smile in passing, a polite discussion upon entering the school, or an exchange while keeping the gate at a sporting event, members of the RMA family have encountered the sweet nature of Mrs. Stone at some point in time. Though she started working at RMA in recent years, Mrs. Stone is no stranger to these halls!

Mrs. Stone, a native of Pennsylvania, first came to RMA in seventh grade and quickly became a stand-out student in her class! She excelled in the classroom, with a special knack for history. During high school, Mrs. Stone used her phenomenal writing ability and creativity as a valuable member of both the yearbook staff and the student newspaper staff. She also participated in chorus and student council, and she represented her grade as class president and representative. With this obvious dedication to excellence, it is no surprise that Mrs. Stone was valedictorian of her class!

After achieving greatness at RMA, Mrs. Stone continued her education at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She majored in Business Administration and later got a job in the trust department at Peoples Bank. Mrs. Stone continuously advanced in her job at the bank, and she gained several brokerage licenses. After twelve years at Peoples/Centura Bank, Mrs. Stone left her post to go across the pond to marry the love of her life, Mr. Stone. The happy couple lived in England for five years, and they traveled to destinations such as India, Kenya, and Canada. Their travels came to a halt when their son, Simon, was born, and they moved to Rocky Mount two years later. By the time Simon was eight, Mrs. Stone began returning to RMA as a substitute teacher. Now, she holds her current position as Administrative Assistant. The intelligent and kind-hearted nature of Mrs. Stone is best put into words by Mr. Stone: “Lisa is my best friend. She is also my antithesis as she actually likes people, especially students! She is the greatest wife and a fantastic mother. Whenever I see her smile, my heart still skips a beat.”

To learn more about the treasure that is Mrs. Stone, check out her interview below!

1. What is your favorite part of your job at RMA? I like the flexibility of working on different projects throughout the year.  Also, seeing students brightens my day.
  2. What is your favorite memory from going to school here? I have many good memories, but senior year is the best.  Mike Bailey and Paul Proctor were fun senior advisors.  Also, Donna Dawson was an excellent yearbook advisor.
  3. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be? Mauritius
  4. What is your favorite restaurant in Rocky Mount? Lou Reda’s
  5. If you could read the same three books for the rest of your life, which three would you choose? Impossible to answer
  6. What is your main hobby? Read for pleasure.  Also, I recently started playing tennis, and though I am not very good, I enjoy playing.
  7. Who is your role model? My father
  8. What is the best advice you have ever received? A good friend, Pris Sykes, advised and cajoled me to e-mail a strange man in Hong Kong. She was right as we have now been married 16 years!