Eagle Examiner

Eagles We Soar: Seniors up for Scholarships

Georgia Morris

The class of 2018 is filled with bright students with even brighter futures ahead of them. Though it’s only a month into the school year, seniors are already working on making the big decision about where they are going to continue their education after graduation. The past 3 years of the class of 2018’s hard work is evident as four students in the senior class have been nominated for impressive and well-known scholarships at schools in North Carolina, including all three of the Media Office’s seniors (go Media Office!).

Seniors Thomas Griffin and Lauren Seale have both been nominated for the Morehead-Cain scholarship at UNC Chapel Hill. In 1945, this scholarship was the first merit scholarship to be established in the United States, and it is a full four-year scholarship. The scholarship provides full funding for four years and four summers of academic experiences, encouraging scholars and providing a framework for success. Students awarded the Morehead-Cain scholarship receive full tuition for all four years, housing, meals, books and a laptop, supplies, and a Discovery Fund for educational opportunities. However, this is not all that scholars receive from this opportunity. Upon receiving this amazing honor, Morehead-Cain scholars become part of a community that is sure to support their growth and transition into higher education. Being nominated for this opportunity is an amazing achievement for both Thomas and Lauren, and we wish them the best of luck!

Two other seniors who have been nominated for scholarships are Holly Brantley and Elias Moore. These impressive seniors are up for the Park scholarship at NC State University. Just like the Morehead, the Park scholarship is a full undergraduate scholarship based on merit. The scholarship is named in honor of Roy H. Park, class of ‘31, who created the Park Foundation, a charitable foundation dedicated to education, media, and the environment. A generous grant from the foundation permitted the creation of the scholarship as a way to provide exceptionally talented students with quality education and the opportunity to challenge themselves at an influential university among other intellectuals. Being awarded this scholarship entails paid full tuition, room and board, books and supplies, travel, and personal expenses. Scholars also have access to grants to fund professional and personal enrichment activities, early course registration, mentoring, freshman seminar, retreats, learning labs, leadership academy, and civic engagement initiatives. Good luck to Holly and Elias as they go through the scholarship process!

In addition to the seniors currently in the scholarship process, the senior class also has a couple of members who have already committed to where their new home will be come next fall. Both Jacob Watkins and Alexis Reams applied as early action applicants to their preferred institutions and were accepted over the summer. Early action application is binding, meaning that the student has made a commitment to go to the school if they get accepted, showing their dedication and desire to go to that school. Jacob will be attending Wake Forest University and Alexis will be attending Liberty University in the fall. Congratulations to them both! Go Deacs and go Flames!

• Eagles We Soar: Seniors up for Scholarships

Showcase

Dear Holly

Showcase

Funny Senior Superlatives

Showcase

Dear RMA

Opinion

Top Ten Things to Look Forward to This Summer:

Senior Spotlight

Senior Spotlight: Malone Bondy

Opinion

Quiz: What Summer Hobby Should You Pick Up This Summer?

Opinion

The Makerspace with Elias: Foxhole Radio

Senior Spotlight

Senior Spotlight: Mark Allen

Showcase

RMA Dreams Big

Senior Spotlight

Senior Spotlight: Bailey Beddingfield

The student news site of Rocky Mount Academy in Rocky Mount, North Carolina.