Meet the New Media Office!

Top+row+%28juniors%3B+left+to+right%29%3A+Haven+Ross%2C+Georgia+Morris%2C+Virginia+Wooten%2C+Ann+Sumner+Thorp%0ASeated+%28seniors%3B+left+to+right%29%3A+Elias+Moore%2C+Holly+Brantley%2C+Lauren+Seale+

Top row (juniors; left to right): Haven Ross, Georgia Morris, Virginia Wooten, Ann Sumner Thorp Seated (seniors; left to right): Elias Moore, Holly Brantley, Lauren Seale

Holly Brantley

Holly Brantley (12th)- Editor-in-Chief

I, Holly Brantley, promise to uphold the responsibilities and honor of the Media Office by acting as Editor-in-Chief for the 2017-2018 school year. I promise to not only lead with integrity, but allow others to grow in their positions and to help encourage them. As well as all items previously stated, I promise to report honestly about the views taken from my fellow peers and from faculty and parents and will be watchful that this truthfulness is expanded throughout the entire Media Office. As this year’s Editor-in-Chief, I promise to do my best to lead, encourage, and maintain an exemplary level of character as I have been placed in this position.

1. What grade did I start RMA? I started in sixth grade.
  2. Why did I decide to participate in the Media Office this year? I’ve always loved the concept of newspapers and online stories (when I was younger, I actually used to write my own “newspapers” for family members!). When I saw that there were openings for this year, I jumped at the chance! I think it’s a great opportunity for the students to learn more about writing and further their writing skills all while highlighting exciting and important events going on around school.
  3. What is an interesting fact about myself that few people know? One interesting fact about me is that I used to write book reviews for a book store in Raleigh. On one review I wrote about a book, an author actually commented on my post and thanked me for reviewing!
  4. If you could identify with one book, what would it be (question courtesy of Virginia Wooten)? The book I identify most with is The Book Thief by Markus Zursak. In the Book Thief, the main character Liesel, must overcome difficult obstacles living in Europe during the height of the second World War. During this hard time, Liesel finds solace in books and writing and by doing this, finds more out about herself in the process. I identify with this because I think reading and writing have really helped me discover more about myself and in rough patches of my life provided me with great comfort.

Virginia Wooten (11th)- Social Media Chair

The first thing you notice about the Media Office’s Social Media chair, Virginia Wooten, is her warm, bubbly personality that will put a smile on your face and turn a day going south to a trip to Disney World. Virginia’s constant enthusiasm and vivacious personality lends itself to her position, allowing her to create quirky captions and vivid pictures. Extremely talented in the arts, especially photography, Virginia’s creative mind and imaginative perspective add a dose of flair to the Media Office that it would otherwise miss. Membership in the Key and Care club has provided another outlet for Virginia to use her gifts of compassion and her friendly personality. With these aspects, mixed with her talent as a writer, Virginia’s articles are sure to be a “woot.” To learn more about Virginia, please read the following interview:

1. What grade did you start RMA? I started in Kindergarten, so I know this place like the back of my hand! I’m planning on being a lifer.
  2. Why did you decide to participate in the Media Office this year? I really liked the use of creativity in this class, and it is a really fun and exciting way to be a part of the school. I was also drawn to writing articles every week. I love to write!
  3. What is one fact about yourself that few people know about? I love movies and cinematography, especially 80’s movies!  Ferris Bueller’s Day Off is a personal favorite of mine. Oh and Caddyshack!
  4. What historical figure do you identify most with? Eleanor Roosevelt- She reinvented the idea of being a First Lady by being an advocate for women’s rights, human rights, and civil rights.

Georgia Morris (11th)- Co-Editor

Known for her dry sense of humor and relaxed personality, Georgia Morris is an excellent addition to the RMA Media office. Though only the second week of school, Georgia has already shone in her role as co-editor, coming up with multiple story ideas and helping other members find the best pun to put in their stories. As the President of Key club, Georgia has demonstrated her leadership skills and compassionate personality in organizing the club this year and getting it off to a great start. Georgia also finds time to dedicate herself to her studies, taking multiple AP and honors courses. As the full swing of school takes force, I look forward to seeing what stories Georgia will have “brewing” and know that they will surely “espresso” and reflect the feelings of the students, faculty, and parents of this school. To learn more about Georgia, please read the following interview:

1. What grade did you start RMA? I came to RMA my freshman year.
  2. Why did you decide to participate in the Media Office this year? I decided to participate in Media Office this year because I think it is a super cool spin on the traditional school newspaper, and it allows students to become more involved in school events and stay in touch with everything that’s going on.
  3. What is one fact about yourself that few people know about? One fact about myself that few people know is that after I started going to Dunkin with classmates all the time at the end of last school year to study, I developed a crippling caffeine addiction (my first day of school this year was tainted by an awful headache that lasted all day because I thought I didn’t need any coffee that morning).
  4. What would your six year old self say if they could see you now? I think that if my 6-year-old self saw me now, she’d probably be pretty confused about how she managed to time travel (also, she probably would be slightly disappointed that I spend so much time procrastinating).

Haven Ross (11th)- Secretary

Known for her infectious smile and cheerful personality, Haven Ross is an irreplaceable part of the RMA Media Office. Not only does she provide a valuable asset to the Media Office, but Haven also adds her skills to the varsity tennis team, having played since she was just five years old. Haven’s expertise not only lies in extracurriculars, but also challenges herself daily with a schedule rigorous with AP and honors classes.  Whether it is on or off of the court, Haven’s funny,  outgoing personality is sure to make a positive impact on every person she comes in contact with. There is no doubt that Haven will excel at her position as secretary and that her articles will always be a “racket.” To learn more about Haven, please read the following interview:

1. What grade did you start RMA? I have been going to RMA since kindergarten.
  2. Why did you decide to participate in the Media Office this year? I joined Media Office because I have a love for writing and for RMA. There is no better way to combine these interests than writing for the school paper!
  3. What is one fact about yourself that few people know about? I think only close friends know that I love doing 1,000 piece puzzles. I can do them for hours! I also know how to moonwalk.
  4. What do you think your spirit animal is? My spirit animal would have to be a red panda. I saw one at the San Diego Zoo, and I just knew that was my spirit animal.

Ann Sumner Thorp (11th)- Co-Editor

Always offering a warm smile or kind word, Ann Sumner Thorp provides a breath of fresh air to RMA every time she steps on campus. Ann Sumner not only shares her leadership skills as co-editor in the Media Office, but as a Student Government officer, member of the girls’ varsity tennis team, co-leading Lunch Bunch, and also by example, her kind-hearted persona never failing. Though, anyone who knows Ann Sumner will undoubtedly know of her love for Camp Seafarer and the sure impact she has on the campers she meets there. As the year progresses, I am excited to see Ann Sumner further grow as co-editor and I “shore” am  grateful for her contributions! To learn more about Ann Sumner, please read the following interview:

1. What grade did you start RMA? 1st grade
  2. Why did you decide to participate in the Media Office this year? I always enjoyed reading the eagle examiner and wanted to help continue it.
  3. What is one fact about yourself that few people know about? I can juggle and play the violin.
  4. What is your favorite quote and why does that speak to you? “You can’t change the direction of the wind, but you can adjust your sails.” – Jimmy Dean. I chose this quote because it encourages me to overcome and persevere through any obstacle. Plus I also love to sail.

Elias Moore (12th)- Treasurer

Ever offering a helpful tip and with an unmistakable sense of humor, Elias Moore is a “treasure” that the Media Office is grateful to have. Sharing his talents at school on the varsity boys tennis and soccer teams, playing the bass for the school band for the various plays and Spring Arts Festival,  and by taking challenging academic courses this year, Elias also finds time to participate in the Nash county 4-H program.Whether you need to smile or your car fixed, Elias is always quick to lend a helping hand and kind smile. As the year kicks off, Elias’ contributions as treasurer are sure to help get the Media Office off to a great start! To learn more about Elias, please read the following interview:

1. What grade did you start RMA? I started attending RMA in 1st grade after attending two other schools.
  2. Why did you decide to participate in the Media Office this year? I wanted to participate in the media office this year because I thought it was a great opportunity. I liked the idea of being able to write stories and edit the school website with articles and events I found interesting.
  3. What is one fact about yourself that few people know about? One thing most people don’t know about me is that I am the president of a 4-H electric club that I helped get started. I like working on electronics and stuff like that so with this club I was able to teach others about my hobby.
  4. If you had to pick three foods to eat for the rest of your life, which three would you chose and why? Well this is tough. I guess if I had to pick three foods the first would be corned beef (definitely better than steak, don’t argue). Second would be any type of pizza because you just can’t go wrong with pizza. And third would be Mac and Cheese (ordered exclusively from TBC West located at the Rocky Mount Mills

Lauren Seale (12th)- Photographer

Bright, responsible, and caring are all three traits describing the Media Office’s photographer, Lauren Seale. As a Ann McPhearson Weaver scholarship recipient, Lauren’s talents and abilities have truly shown through the past few years in high school. Making her debut as Jesus in the 2016 Spring Musical, Godspell, Lauren literally “killed it,” stunning the audience into silence during multiple scenes. Not only is she a talented singer and actor, but her talents have also been seen on the tennis court and on the sidelines of football games, cheering her schoolmates on. In addition to all her extracurricular activities, Lauren challenges herself daily academically and earned the honor of being Head Marshall for the 2017-2018 school year. As a hard-worker and dedicated friend, Lauren has surely earned my “seale” of approval and I am excited to see what she will do for this year! To read more about Lauren, please read the following interview:

1. What grade did you start RMA?I started at RMA in the 9th grade
  2. What did you decide to participate in the Media Office this year?The people on the media office 2 years ago really had wanted me to apply, but I never really got around to it. So, this past year, I decided I would finally apply because I knew they would need the people and it seemed like a fun thing to be a part of!
  3. What is one fact about yourself that few people know about? Something that only a few people know about me is that I’m now going into my 11th year of piano lessons!
  4. If you had to live in any other time period, which one would you pick? I’d honestly probably want to live in the future. Granted, I’d be terrified because of the whole global warming and environmental side of issues the world is facing, but I just really want to see all of the advancements, whether it’s medical or technological or anything else. I just think it would be cool to see what the world is going to end up becoming because we can always have some idea of what the past was like, but we have no idea what the future has in store.