Senior Spotlight: Caitlyn Vester

This week’s Senior Spotlight showcases one of RMA’s finest students both in and out of the classroom, and my best friend, Caitlyn Vester. This Ann Weaver Scholar is known for her well-roundedness as a result of her academics, leadership and athletics at Rocky Mount Academy, and service outside of school. She may be quiet when you first meet her, but she is an honest and outspoken leader that you definitely want on your side. From the art room, to the Veterinary Office, to the cross country course, Caitlyn is a stand out student in all ways. She is perhaps the most determined person I know and has truly had an impact on my life, always pushing others to be their best but to have fun while doing so.

Entering RMA as a ninth grader from public school, Caitlyn was at a disadvantage academically but took on this challenge with her determined spirit. She jumped right in and began taking Honors Classes, ending her high school career having taken eight AP classes, all while having repeated stellar report cards. She has maintained an all A average in high school, which attests to her hard work. Caitlyn was a Park Scholarship Finalist, despite being self-endorsed, which is an amazing achievement as the competition is extremely difficult. Caitlyn is a very talented writer which is evidenced by her countless English departmental awards such as Academic Excellence in Honors 10 English and Highest Academic Average in Honors English 9. Her creativity also branches out from pencils to paint brushes as she is a very talented, nationally recognized artist. Caitlyn was one of around 330,000 artists nationwide awarded a Scholastic Art Awards Silver Medal after being recognized regionally with a Scholastic Art Awards Gold Key. To round out her creativity, Caitlyn can be found at the dance studio during week-nights rehearsing for competitions, in which she competes during many weekends. In ninth grade, Caitlyn and her team was awarded 1st place Overall at the National Competition in Clogging.

Caitlyn is the perfect example of the great opportunity RMA gives students to take an idea and run with it, as she did just this. At the beginning of Junior year, Caitlyn had an idea to create a club to raise money and help Odin’s Orphans Rescue, a local dog rescue. She founded and became the president of Academy Rescue Foundation (or ARF), which has raised money through selling chocolate bars, Chick-fil-A lunches and simply bringing dog orphans to school and helped countless dogs to get adopted. ARF is also in charge of maintaining Odin’s Orphans website, which is updated regularly. Also at RMA, Caitlyn has been the Co-editor for Media Office in her junior and senior year, Class Vice President as a junior, treasurer for Upper School SGA as a sophomore, a dedicated member of Key Club for four years, a member and treasurer of Science Olympiad, and a member of Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

In the midst of her busy schedule and difficult classes, Caitlyn still makes time to not only participate, but to excel in athletics. As Mr. Stone often remarks, she is very good at running around in circles! In all seriousness, Caitlyn has participated in cross country all four years of high school, being named Cross Country CIC Conference Runner of the Year and a member of the Rocky Mount 2015 All Area Girls Cross Country Team as a junior. For the past three years, she has been the RMA Cross Country Team MVP and All Conference Cross Country Runner and there are no doubts that this year’s athletic banquet will not reveal the same. Caitlyn is also a member of the newly founded Track team, which was started last year by Coach Brian Winham. When asked about Caitlyn, Winham remarks “Caitlyn possess the traits that a coach wants to see in his/her athletes. She runs with a tenacity and a never give up attitude. Her passion to excel has made her a champion many times over.” Caitlyn was the Track team MVP during her Junior year. Not only does this quote describe Caitlyn when running, but her general approach of life. When she sets her mind on something, you better make way because she will reach her goal.

Outside of school, Caitlyn spends a large amount of her time giving back to the community in various ways. She purposefully centers many of her experiences around animals as she hopes to be a Veterinarian and simply because it is her passion. She has her own farm, Tri-Oak Farm, with horses to which she dedicates countless hours of training, riding, caring for, feeding, and grooming. She has volunteered and worked at Riverside Veterinary Hospital and Coats Veterinary Hospital, enjoying doing what she loves. Her volunteer work eventually led her to a part-time job at Coats as an Assistant, where she worked every day after school, on the weekends, and during the summer. Caitlyn spent the summer before her junior year as a Sylvan Heights Waterfowl Park Volunteer and summer before her senior year as a North Carolina Zoo Wildlife Rehabilitation Center Volunteer. Also outside of school, Caitlyn is a member of the Debu-ette club which focuses on community service and was a participant in the Rocky Mount Distinguished Young Women Scholarship Program. In DYW, Caitlyn won Preliminary Awards in Scholastics, Fitness and Interview, and won the “Be Your Best Self Award.” At the conclusion of the program, Caitlyn was honored as the Second Runner-up.

Caitlyn has, to say the least, made an impact on all that surround her. From school, to dance, to her jobs, to the track, she continues to be a successful leader and more importantly, a friend. She has been a blessing to Rocky Mount Academy and there is no way anyone could or would be able to fill her shoes as she travels to Buies Creek in the fall.

To learn more about Caitlyn, read the short interview below:

1. Of all your accomplishments and awards, what are you most proud of?

I am most proud of receiving a full-tuition scholarship to Campbell University.

2. What do you hope to pursue in (and after) college?

In college, I hope to pursue Biology on the Pre-vet track and eventually become a Veterinarian.

3. What is your favorite long lunch destination?

My favorite long lunch destination is Pizza Inn because if you know me, you know I LOVE to eat.

4. What is something not many people know about you?

Not many people know that I am a poet and enjoy writing as an outlet.

5. Pet peeves?

I dislike being poked, people that do less than they are capable of, being cold (I have Raynauds disease really bad!), and terrible drivers.

6. “I will always remember…”

My name being written as “scrub” on the college board in Mrs. Patton’s room all year and even surviving being rewritten to make room. Thanks Sharpe 🙂

7. What would you tell underclassmen NOT to do?

Dear Underclassmen, do NOT overwhelm yourself with APs your senior year. It might sound like a good idea, but college applications take up a majority of your time and can be overwhelming. Also, branch out and try new things! Apply for any and every scholarship you can, you might be the perfect person judges are looking for!

8. If you were stranded on an island with only your clothes and three other things, what would they be?

I would bring with me a machete, rope, and Hannah Strickland with an endless supply of cookie brownies 😉

9. You are known for your running ability. Which do you prefer, Cross Country or Track? Why?

I prefer track because I love to hurdle!

10. What is your favorite Netflix show?

I don’t watch Netflix often, but when I do it is either Grey’s Anatomy or Heartland.