Senior Spotlight: Anna Scott Wingfield

This week’s Senior Spotlight highlights singer, Distinguished Young Woman of Rocky Mount, avid Chick-fil-a customer, and my best friend, Anna Scott Wingfield. There are no words in the English language to fully engulf the spirit that is Anna Scott. She is kind, trustworthy, honest, and above all, inspirational. There is no other human being that handles everyday life with grace, a unique sense of style, and a smile as Anna Scott so boldly accomplishes. However, beneath her gentle laugh and mostly horrible but hilarious jokes, lays an incredibly busy schedule full of challenging classes, sports, clubs, and time-consuming extracurriculars.

In the world of academia, Anna Scott places in the top of her class with a mix of Honors and AP classes. Not only is Anna Scott a member of National Honors Society, but she was also a Junior Academic Graduation Marshall last year. In appreciation for all of her effort, Anna Scott has been the recipient of the Turner Battle Scholarship since her Sophomore year. In each and every class Anna Scott has taken, it is obvious that she is outgoing, hardworking, and a leader in group activities. She has won many class awards such as Academic Excellence in Honors World Cultures, Honors Geometry, Honors English 10, and Honors Precalculus, and has received Highest Academic Average in Honors Chemistry and Honors Spanish 3. Any teacher or student can attest that Anna Scott is surely a presence not easily missed in the classroom.

Even though Anna Scott has a rigorous school schedule, she always makes time for a plethora of extracurricular activities. At RMA, Anna Scott has participated in many sports, clubs, and plays that she pours her whole heart and soul into. She has been the Class President her Junior and Senior year, Key Club member and current President, Science Olympiad member, Academy Rescue Foundation Treasurer, Fellowship of Christian Athletes member, and is the current co-President of RMA Chorus. Many who know Anna Scott are aware of her dedication to RMA’s Media Office, in which she is the current Editor-in-chief, managing and leading all aspects of our school’s online newspaper, the Eagle Examiner. She can constantly be seen filming footage, taking pictures, and editing videos for the benefit of the school. To follow the trend of teamwork, Anna Scott is an athlete and has been a team player on the swim team her Sophomore through Senior years, cheerleading team all throughout high school, and cross country team runner her Freshman and Sophomore years. Not only is Anna Scott affable in general, but she displays her affection for life and people through her singing and acting ability. Anna Scott has been a vital member of Tar River Chorus since the third grade and has made appearances in plays in and out of RMA such as Anything Goes, Mary Poppins, Oz the Musical, Godspell, You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown, and my personal favorite, as Wendy in Peter Pan.

One of the main focuses of Anna Scott’s life is giving back to the community. It is so important that, in order to fully describe all she does, it requires a separate paragraph. To begin, Anna Scott has a very strong faith that is evident in every aspect of her life and countenance. She is a dedicated member to her church, Christ Covenant, and has done missions and volunteer work to help share God’s love for his people. Some activities include a missions trip to Philadelphia, Team 252 Missions Trip, Kids on God’s Side, TeamKid, and World Changers Charleston. Anna Scott has also been a member of Debuette club since the 9th grade, a social club committed to community service to benefit families of Rocky Mount. As a debuette, Anna Scott makes it a priority to spend her time for the betterment of others by volunteering at places like the Bassett Center and Camp HOPE. During her Junior year, Anna Scott was the reason the RMA campus was given a burst of color with her involvement with the Crayon Initiative. Anna Scott was able to encourage all the members of the RMA community to donate crayons, broken or whole, to be melted together and made into new crayons and donated back to hospitals, schools, and art programs.

Outside of the RMA community, Anna Scott has been able to participate in many amazing programs and opportunities that she will be able to remember the rest of her life. During the summer before her Senior year, Anna Scott was a NC Senate Page, sponsored by President Pro Tempore Phil Berger, and she also spent a week at North Carolina State University at their Summer Textile Exploration Program (STEP). As Anna Scott has always been gifted at sewing (you should check out her Grendel in Ms. Baker-Smith’s room!), this camp was perfect for her to merge her creativity and fashion sense. If you are in any way connected to RMA or have read the newspaper lately, you are sure to have noticed Anna Scott’s gentle presence. Beginning practice the summer before her Senior year, Anna Scott started her journey with Distinguished Young Women, a National Scholarship Program that showcases individual’s abilities in talent, scholastics, self-expression, fitness, and interview. Anna Scott competed against other participants of Rocky Mount in September of 2016 to earn the title of Distinguished Young Woman of Rocky Mount. Anna Scott moved on to compete in the state-wide competition this past January. Anna Scott represented Rocky Mount well as she was able to win a Preliminary Award in self-expression and receive the prestigious Spirit Award.

Whether you know Anna Scott from school, church, met her around town, or even met her at a race where she can be found helping her dad at Tar River Timing, she is the same genuine person each and every day. Her priorities lie in her family, especially her two little brothers, Griffin and John Thomas, God, and her friends. One of her lifelong friends, Hannah Strickland, describes Anna Scott best when she explained, “Anna Scott is filled with love and it overflows like her sweet spirit. She brings joy into everything and it has been a true honor to have known her.” I am sure I speak for all of Rocky Mount and beyond when I wish Anna Scott good luck in the fall at NCSU even though we all know she will succeed, Chick-fil-a nuggets and gummy bears in hand, and make us proud.

To learn more about Anna Scott, please read these interview questions below!

1.What are you going to miss the most about RMA?

What I will miss most about RMA is how I am more than a number in the enrollment or a face in the crowd. Not only that, but our headmaster knows us all by name, teachers give out their cell phone numbers and fellow students become family.

2. Name your favorite memory at RMA so far.

It is almost impossible to pick one memory, but in ninth grade the girls had a lock-in which was so much fun. We played The Hunger Games with nerf guns and I hid out in the front office until like five girls were sitting in the hallway, with no clue that I was just around the corner. I literally dove on top of them and “killed them” then ran away!!!!! I felt like Katniss!

3. What is your greatest accomplishment that you are most proud of?

I would say that I am most proud of my participation in Distinguished Young Women. I was truly honored to be chosen as the Rocky Mount representative and later North Carolina Spirit Award Winner.

4. We know you have participated in many plays. What was your favorite and why?

My favorite play I have participated in by far was Peter Pan in eighth grade at the Imperial Center. I was cast as Wendy Darling, my first semi-lead role, which fit perfectly because the lost boys want Wendy to be their “mother” and I have very motherly instincts. Also, I got to fly a lot in the play which was awesome. The pixie dust really works 😉

5. What are your pet peeves?

My pet peeves include chewing with food in your mouth, nails on a chalkboard (or any similar sound) and people who don’t use their turn signals!

6. Do you have any nicknames?

Well… my family calls me Annie, some people call me Little Wings, Banana Scott and if you were in AP Chemistry last year, the infamous Birfday.

7. Who is someone that has made a lasting impact on your life and how?

If I had to choose just one person who has made a lasting impact on my life, it would definitely be my mom. She is so selfless in taking care of my family and those around her, and always pushes me to do the same.

8. What do you want to pursue in and after college?

In college I plan to major in Biology and then become a Physician’s Assistant. I eventually want to travel and be a Medical Missionary

9. What is your favorite song or quote?

“Miracles are a retelling in small letters of the very same story which is written across the whole world in letters too large for some of us to see. ” C. S. Lewis

10. If you could have one conversation with anyone, who would it be?

I would have a conversation with the Robertson family from Duck Dynasty.