Senior Spotlight: Briana Winham

This week’s Senior Spotlight features all around sports athlete and academic achiever, Briana Winham. Rocky Mount Academy was first blessed to meet Briana when she transferred from Northern Nash to begin her Junior year at RMA as an Ann Weaver scholar. In her two short years here, Briana has managed to stay heavily involved in all school activities and maintain a rigorous class schedule. When you first meet Briana, you will notice her small demeanor but large character. Briana applies her big heart to many extracurriculars in the RMA community and beyond.

At school, Briana has achieved the A/B Honor roll throughout her two years for excelling in AP and Honors classes. As a reward for all of her hard work, Bri was inducted as a member of National Honor’s Society her junior year. When you think of Briana, one of the first things that should come to mind is her athletic ability. She participates on the cross country, swim, and track and field teams and has won a plethora of awards for each. For cross country, Briana has been All-Conference every year and was awarded the Coaches Award her junior year at RMA and during her sophomore year at Northern. In swimming, Bri has been named All- Conference her Junior and Senior year and MVP during her junior year at RMA and sophomore year at Northern. Also during her sophomore year, Bri was awarded All-Conference in track. Briana, along with the help of her dad as the coach, even helped start RMA’s first track and field team, which has had much success in its short time running despite its lack of resources and a running  track. In addition to academics and athletics, Briana is a member of many clubs here on campus. Bri is a Judicial Member of NC Youth and Government, a member of Academy Rescue Foundation and Key Club, and an active tutor for STARS Tutoring.

Outside of school, Briana is very active in her church, Calvary Baptist, and has spent many hours volunteering and working at different locations around Rocky Mount. Bri is a member of Debu-ettes where she dedicates her time to volunteering and collecting food and clothes for the needy. She also volunteers for the Boys and Girls Club, helping with homework and praying for the kids. While still in school, Briana has worked as an intern in the Parker Law Office, to help further her future career as a lawyer, and as co-head swim coach at Nash Rec Swim Club. Be sure to wish Briana good luck as she embarks on her journey to UNC Chapel Hill in the fall!

To learn more about Briana, read her short interview questions below!

1. What is your favorite vacation that you’ve ever taken?

My family and I took a trip to California in the summer of 2015. We flew into San Diego and traveled up the coast of California. I absolutely loved San Francisco and visiting Alcatraz was so cool!

2. What do you like most about RMA?

I love how close my class is with each other. We are more like a family and we always look out for each other. I also really like the small class sizes. I feel like it helps me learn so much more.

3. Of all the sports you play, which is your favorite?

Swimming definitely.

4. What do you plan on pursuing in college?

I plan to double major in history and political science with a minor in Spanish. My eventual goal is to go to law school somewhere.

5. What is your biggest pet peeve?

I cannot stand when people smack their gum.

6. What is your favorite class at RMA?

I’ve loved all of the classes I have taken with Mr. Stone. I would have to say my absolute favorite was AP Government because we got to debate a lot.

7. What is your fondest Senior memory?

Going to Serendipity in New York. They had the best ice cream I’ve ever eaten.

8. What are your hobbies?

I love to swim and I coach little kids during the summer. I love working with young kids and teaching them how to swim.

9. What are you most looking forward to in college?

I’m looking to more freedom and more opportunities to grow as a person.

10. Do you have any nicknames?

Most of my friends call me Bri and my family calls me Bebe.