Senior Spotlight: Thomas Moore

Media Office’s Thomas Moore has one of the most distinct personalities in this year’s senior class. Someone truly beloved by everyone, and this year’s prom king, Thomas will be missed indefinitely when next fall rolls around. Thomas doesn’t just have the ability to put a smile on your face, more often than not he is the reason for some of the heartiest laughs you’ve had in a long time. After attending Rocky Mount Academy in 3rd grade, the following year his family made the move to Chapel Hill. Having met Thomas when he returned in 10th grade, I can say that he came home to his RMA family in a way that made it seem as though he never left. A “people person” in every way, Thomas is without a doubt the friend whom everyone needs.

Thomas’s fervent work ethic is something that has gained the respect of many. His desire to succeed in every capacity has the power to help him achieve anything he wants. In the classroom, Thomas’s teachers get to observe his diligence first-hand. In 11th grade, Thomas was inducted into the National Honor Society as a way to recognize his commitment to academics. Throughout his high school career, Thomas has been the recipient of awards such as Excellence in AP Biology, Excellence in Public Speaking, and Highest Average in Advanced English. Thomas is often an asset to classroom discussion and is not afraid to challenge conventional ways of looking at situations. In turn, he has become someone that is guaranteed to make a valuable contribution that often causes his peers to think more critically.

Outside of the world of academia, Thomas is someone who stays involved in the community. During his three years of being a Key Club member, Thomas has served as Publicity Chair as well as Vice President. His compassion always shines through when weighing in on fundraiser ideas and advocating for worthy causes. He can often be seen with his partner in crime, Rob Turnage, making sure all of the members are in attendance at important meetings. Thomas has also been an important part of the Media Office for two years. While his current title may read “Treasurer”, he will always be remembered as “Thomas Moore, Business Manager”. Writing articles every week, Thomas has been able to explore his writing style by covering a wide variety of topics. The column closest to his heart, of course, would be “Deep Woods with Thomas Moore”. Here, he gives readers an inside look at the latest and greatest of hunting and fishing. Anyone can see that Thomas’s passion for the outdoors is something that is simply a part of who he is. Thomas has also been a member of the Care Club for two years, where he is now the sitting Vice President. On par with his personality, Care Club works to promote respect, friendliness, and anti-bullying on campus. Thomas is someone who likes to stay busy, and his schedule reflects this. He has been a vital component to both the varsity skeet shooting team and the varsity golf team since 10th grade. Even in the summer, Thomas is never sitting idly by. In 10th grade, Thomas traveled to NC State to represent RMA at the Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership Conference. Here, he met fellow leaders from across the eastern part of the state and learned more about how to enact change within his community. Thomas also has a keen interest in the workings of state government. In 10th grade, he served as a House Page for the North Carolina House. In 11th grade, he was able to gain more access to the legislative process when he worked as a Governor’s Page. Just last year, before 12th grade, Thomas rounded out his tour of politics with a position as a Senate Page for the North Carolina Senate. This year, Thomas plans to make good use of his time once again by working at Parker’s Barbecue in Wilson, so stop by and be sure to tip him well!

Thomas is, without a doubt, one of the most unforgettable seniors in the Class of 2017. His ability to connect with others is overshadowed only by his sense of humor and passion for life. You simply cannot be around Thomas without a smile on your face. When asked about him, Marin Rommel said, “Thomas brightens my day every single day and never fails to make me laugh and smile. Out of our grade, I’ll probably miss him the most because life seems so bland when he’s not around.” Parting ways with this lively spirit will be difficult to say the least. On campus, his vacancy will be felt just as intensely as his presence (he’s an extrovert, don’t let him fool you). Rob Turnage (one half of the iconic “Rob and Thomas” duo) states, “Thomas is the kid on campus who never fails to put a smile on your face. The kid that everyone gets to call their friend, but the kid who I call my best friend.” I think I speak for everyone when I say that Thomas is the person you get to thank for simply being who they are.

Read the interview below to learn more about this special member of the Class of 2017!

1. What has been your favorite class at RMA?

My favorite class at RMA has probably been AP Psychology or Sports Medicine.

2. What are you most proud of accomplishing  at RMA?

Returning back to RMA after a long 6 year intermission.

3. What will you miss the most about RMA?

I will miss the family feel of the school.

4. What is your favorite long lunch destination?

Harris Teeter Deli.

5. Do know what you want to study in college?

I plan on majoring in history and eventually going to law school.

6. Growing up, what did you aspire to be?

Growing up, I wanted to be a fishing guide.

7. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

With a mullet, driving my Ford Bronco to Myrtle Beach while trailering my leopard print jet ski.

8. What is your favorite Netflix show?

Breaking Bad or Sons of Anarchy.

9. What is something not many people know about you?

I am an introvert.

10. If you could give any piece of advice to underclassmen, what would it be?

Work hard freshman, sophomore, and junior year so senior year will be a breeze.

11. What is your pet peeve?

Stepping in a liquid with socks on.

12. Do you have a nickname?

If by nickname you mean rapper name, then yes. Lil’ Tommy.