Senior Spotlight: Jared McCall

Senior Spotlight: Jared McCall

The star of this week’s Senior Spotlight is none other than the witty, strong and driven Jared McCall. Jared is a varsity athlete, AP student, Eagle Scout and aspiring military member. Since joining the Rocky Mount Academy family in second grade, Jared has been an involved and essential member of the Class of 2017. Despite repeated injury to his right arm, requiring surgeries and physical therapy, Jared has been a member of the two-time State Champion Varsity Football team where he was often the kicker, wearing the lucky number 22. Also, Jared has participated in Track as a junior and senior where he does the 100m, 200m, long jump and triple jump (all with a broken arm). Senior Caitlyn Vester stated, “Jared has such a unique sense of humor and is always one to make you laugh. While he might not always do his homework, he is a great student that can accomplish anything he sets his mind to.” One example of Jared’s clever sense of humor is his love of calling track practice, tracktice.

At school, Jared is a member of the Care Club, ARF (Academy Rescue Foundation), Key Club and Science Olympiad. Academically, Jared has taken/is currently taking eight AP classes and is a member of the National Honor Society. Jared is very naturally intelligent and this angers others (especially Mr. Stone) as occasionally he does not study for a test yet manages to get a higher grade than everyone else in the class! Jared is also an Eagle Scout, the highest rank that a Boy Scout can achieve. He joined Troop 7 in 2010 and his favorite memory from his Boy Scout experience was a 50 mile ocean kayaking trip at the Outer Banks. As well as this trip, Jared has camped in the mountains, traveled to a jamboree at West Point and stayed on the USS Yorktown, a battleship in Charleston. His Eagle Scout Project was the construction of handicap planters for the patio area at the Bryant T. Aldridge Rehabilitation Center at Nash UNC Health Care in Rocky Mount. The planters are used by patients as part of their rehabilitation therapy. He raised $1,902 for his project and provided 126 service hours on the project with other volunteers from his troop. Jared is extremely focused on his future career and as a result has visited many colleges and Summer Programs. He attended the Summer Seminar at the US Naval Academy, the Sea, Science and Leadership Program at Massachusetts Maritime Academy, and has attended Applicant Weekend at multiple military institutions this year. Jared has excelled in high school and we know that he will only continue to make RMA proud as he moves on to this next phase of his life.

To learn more about Jared, read the short interview below:

1. How long have you been attending Rocky Mount Academy?

I have attended Rocky Mount Academy since the second grade, so this will be my eleventh year.

2. When you were little, what did you want to be?

An astronaut

3. Do you have a nickname?

I am sometimes affectionately referred to as Jarebear.

4. What are your pet peeves?

Ignorant people and hypocrites

5. What kind of music is on your Spotify?

I listen to literally everything except country music.

6. If you could travel anywhere, where would you choose?

My bedroom.

7. Where did you apply to college?

I applied to The United States Merchant Marine Academy, The United States Naval Academy, The United States Coast Guard Academy, The Citadel, The Virginia Military Institute, North Carolina State University, University of North Carolina, Duke University, Massachusetts Maritime Academy, Maine Maritime Academy, and the State University of New York Maritime Academy.

8. What do you plan to study in college?

Depending on where I go to college, I will either be studying Marine Engineering or Mechanical Engineering.

9. What is your favorite class that you have taken at RMA?

My favorite class by far is nap time, also known as study hall.

10. If you could chose to go through high school again, would you chose to do anything differently?

Focus more on junior year.

11. What will you miss most about RMA when you graduate?

All my friends