RMA Supports Officers, Orphans, and Cocoa

This past Friday, November 2nd, it was evident that the entire Rocky Mount Academy community was enjoying the fun and excitement in the courtyard. The morning began with Academy Rescue Foundation members and honorary member, Ms. Covolo, greeting parents and students at the front of the school in the car line from 7:40-8:00. Each member was holding a dog up for adoption supplied by Odin’s Orphans Rescue. There were six dogs total, Piper (a 6 month old black and white female), Ashling (a 7 month old black and white female), Denahli (a two year old white pit mix), Opi (a one year old female with blue and brown eyes), and perhaps the two favorites, Stock and Lock (two 14-week old brown and white male puppies). After the morning car line dwindled, the dogs were moved to the courtyard where classes were able to stop by allowing students to pet the dogs. However, the dogs were not the only furry guests in the courtyard. Ashling, a hound mix, sniffed a duck out of the bushes! After much excitement by the dogs and students alike, the duck was caught and carefully placed outside, much to the disappointment of Ashling, who was loving her new toy. The dogs eventually made their rounds around the school classrooms to visit Mrs. Meadows, Mr. Stone, Ms. Carter, Dr. K, and Mr. Hester. The two puppies, Stock and Lock, were casually found sleeping in the Senior room on the couch surrounded by giddy seniors. It can be said everyone loved having the dogs on campus and the dogs had the time of their lives being loved on by all the students, parents, and faculty. Hopefully the dogs gained the attention of future adopters so they can finally have fur-ever homes. If one of the dogs caught your eye, please find out more information about them on www.odinsorphansrescue.org, or email me, ARF President, at [email protected].

Asides from the dogs, two other events took place on the courtyard. The middle school Beta Club was selling hot chocolate during break, which was a huge success on this brisk 55 degree day. Students each paid $1 for a small or $2 for a large and got to enjoy a big cup of hot cocoa with all proceeds going to support the Rocky Mount Academy Junior Beta Club and their future projects. After the dogs left and hot chocolate sales had ended, 8th grade, lead by guidance counselor Susan Morgan, hosted a lunch for local law enforcement. There were so many police, state troopers, highway patrol and sheriff cars on campus that the upper schoolers had to park in the back to make room for them all. A few 8th grade boys grilled hot dogs around lunch time while the girls set up a table for buns, chili, and drinks. Tables were decorated with centerpieces, placed on the outdoor basketball courts and filled with nearly 50 serving men and women. Each grade in middle school completes one community service project, and the 8th graders chose to honor local law enforcement.

This past Friday is a true testament to the uniqueness of RMA. Any person would be lucky to associate with a fantastic school who supports local law enforcement and allows clubs to put on events such as selling hot cocoa and bringing dogs to school. Way to go RMA!