Narnia: One Step Above Turkish Delight

Caitlyn Vester, Co- Editor

This past Thursday and Friday, November 3th and 4th, the Drama and Musical Arts Department consisting of Middle and Upper Schoolers performed the play based off of C.S. Lewis’ “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.” All of their hard work began in early September with auditions and once the cast was chosen, daily practices after school began. New microphones were installed which helped in projecting the characters’ voices for the crowd to hear. After much preparation, the show was ready to be performed.

Below is a summary of the night’s events:

I arrived early to take photos of all the characters before Opening Night. When I first entered Mrs. Hunter’s art room, I was surprised at the sight before me. Aside from the main characters who played the Pevensie family, which I immediately recognized, all of the “animals” were so beautifully painted, donning elaborate costumes. After leaving the room, I knew the night couldn’t be anything but spectacular.

The curtains opened with a short but sentimental dance number from the White Stag, played by Mary Kimbrell Livermon. The mood was surely set and it added a sense of mystery to atmosphere. The first scene began as the entire Pevensie family arrived at Professor Digory’s home to escape the war. The first thing I noticed were the British accents of each character. Aside from Mr. Stone, who played Professor Digory who was expected to have an unflappable accent, did not disappoint. Also, Peter, Susan, Lucy, and Edmund, played by Ezra Moore, Lisa Renee Dudley, Virginia Feagans, and Gavin Bauer respectively, sounded as if playing a British character was second nature. Ms. Macready gave the children a lesson on what their proper behavior should be by delivering a humorous song that only the talented Lottie Parker could prepare. Afterwards, it was not long until nosey Lucy and Edmund discovered the wardrobe and entered the mystical realm of Narnia. After a quick scene change by the fabulous backstage crew, the Digory home was soon transformed into a snowy wonderland. The first Narnian introduced is Mr. Tumnus, played by Joe Cockrell, who tricks Lucy into finding shelter in his home. While Lucy is with Mr. Tumnus, Edmund has his first encounter with the White Witch who was wonderfully played by Emory Pittman. Emory showcased her beautiful voice throughout the show, displaying her dedication and diverse acting capabilities. I loved how the White Witch and her companions made their entrance by way of reindeer and sled through the crowd. The Dwarf, played by Sarah Stancavish and Reindeer, played by Porter Petruzziello, were the White Witch’s left and right hands and were hilarious throughout the play. The White Witch and her friends delivered a huge song about Turkish Delight that was so impressive, that I  chose to use it as the title of the article. Mr. and Mrs. Beaver, played by Colin Baker and Mari Robin Tharin, were the next characters to appear. These two were the helpful guides to the children and the most flirtatiously cute couple on stage. Perhaps one of the most impressive characters, was Lee Pekelny as Fenris Ulf, the wolf Chief of the Secret Police. Her singing, howling and aggressive acting were amazing . If she ever were to come to arrest me, I’d almost go willingly. One of the highlights of the play was the guest appearance of Father Christmas, played by Shawn Leonard. Father Christmas gave the Pevensie children their special weapons while also presenting a musical number and providing the much needed inspiration for the children to continue their journey. The last character I would like to highlight is Aslan, played by Timon Thompson. Throughout the play, Aslan was poised, cool and collected and had the perfect deep voice to lead his people. Aslan showed his love for his people, or shall I say animals, by self sacrificing himself to the wrath of the White Witch. This scene showed all the “dark” characters in full force and was full of evil laughing and singing. After Aslan’s resurrection three days later, he sang a powerful duet with the White Witch leading up to the climax of the play, where Edmund knocked the magical wand from her hands. This is the same wand that provided the White Witch with all her special powers that allowed to her to freeze characters like the Fox, played by Hannah Strickland, and Mr. Tumnus. Once her spell was broken and her dominion over the Narnians was overruled, Princess Lucy, Prince Edmund, King Peter, and Queen Susan, were anointed and spent many years at peace ruling the animals of Narnia. Mr. Tumnus summarized the progression of many years passed while also dancing with the White Stag. The wardrobe makes its reappearance and the not so young Pevensie children are sucked back into the world of the living returning to the exact moment when they first entered the wardrobe.

To summarize, Narnia was a huge success due to the dedication of all the actors. The backstage crew did an amazing job with lighting, sound effects, makeup, costumes, and stage prop transitions. In the words of Hannah Strickland, the Fox, “The play was a fun way to bond and showcase our talents together as a drama department.” Anyone who went to see the play would vouch that all aspects of it were amazing and so very well put together. I am excited I got to see the play and I can’t wait to watch “You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown,” the school’s next play, in the Spring.