Powderpuff Football: Better Known as Tug-of-War

Emily Cheston, Communications Chair

Last Wednesday, Rocky Mount Academy held its annual Powderpuff football game. With little to no preparation, the freshmen-sophomore and junior-senior teams took to the field. The varsity football players made up the dedicated coaching staff and constructed some simple plays on the fly. With the fans (parents) in the stands, Ms. Carter, Dr. K, and Mr. Tucker as referees,  and seniors Thomas Moore, Rob Turnage, and Will Pruden narrating the game, Wednesday Night Lights began.

When it came to the coin toss, the junior-senior team won choosing to receive. Caitlyn Vester started the upperclassmen off the right way with a touchdown early in the game. With a strong defense and strategic offense, the more experienced team took the lead. The freshmen-sophomore team put up a tough fight and had some solid advances. To quote Rob Turnage, “The upperclassmen defense is like Mr. Tucker after long lunch—not letting anyone through the side door.” The junior-senior team was lead by quarterback Casey Jones, wide receiver Julia High, and running back Caitlyn Vester. Not to mention the solid defensive line led by Lindy Pittman. The freshmen-sophomore team was composed of an athletic bunch and surely gave the juniors and seniors a run for their money. Lead players of the freshman-sophomore team were Haley, Barrett, Gabby, and Haven. Of course, there was the mischievous tying of the flags on both sides, but it was an awesome time for every player and spectator. By the end of the night, there were smiles all around. The junior-senior team pulled out with a win with a close score of 12-6. Freshmen experienced their first Powderpuff and seniors were sentimental about walking off of the field for the last time.

As tradition goes, the winning team donates the funds raised from concessions to the charity of their choice. This year, the junior and seniors selected the Bassett Center to receive the profits of the night. All in all, Wednesday night showed that Powderpuff at RMA will continue to be a night full of clumsiness and humility, all for a good cause. Thank you to everyone who came out to support RMA’s high school girls and generously donate to the Bassett Center!