RMA Announces Scholarship Nominees for Class of 2017

Emily Cheston, Communications Chair

As this school year progresses, the nerve-racking process of applying to college is at the forefront of many seniors’ minds. As fall application due dates relentlessly approach, the stress of getting all of your ducks in a row is a daunting task- especially while balancing a heavy course load, sports, and extracurricular activities. While the application process can be taxing, many students look forward to applying for prestigious scholarships at a variety of institutions. This year, Rocky Mount Academy has nominated a total of ten different students for seven scholarships. To find out more about these highly coveted opportunities and the students applying for them, continue reading!

Belk Scholarship- Davidson College: Briana Winham

The Belk Scholarship was started with the aim of further developing students with “unique talents that should be recognized and nurtured.” The scholarship covers tuition, room and board, and a generous allowance for expenses such as study abroad, internships, and summer experiences. Additionally, the program is meant to seek out current and future student leaders who are committed to becoming global citizens. As an involved student, Briana makes a great candidate for this impressive scholarship.

Bryan Scholarship- Davidson College: Julia High, Caitlyn Vester, & Briana Winham

The Bryan Scholarship rewards student athletes who shine competitively, no matter the setting. Applicants must be either nominated by their high school, or by the coaching staff at Davidson College. The recipients of this scholarship are high-achieving, outgoing, diligent, and driven. These very words surely apply to Julia, Caitlyn, and Briana whether they are on a field, court, track, or in the classroom.

Danforth Scholarship- Washington University in St. Louis: Lindy Pittman

The Danforth Scholarship is a selective merit based scholarship which rewards invested, well-rounded students. With its main interests in academics and leadership, the program seeks the student who “embraces high ideals, whose life choices are guided by personal integrity, selflessness, a commitment to community, and a dedication to leadership and academic excellence.” As someone involved in virtually every aspect of Rocky Mount Academy life, Lindy Pittman will represent our school exceptionally.

Frederick Douglass Scholarship- American University: Gracie Cox

The Frederick Douglass Scholarship is awarded to impressive applicants who the university hopes will make up the “most ambitious student and alumni leaders dedicated to excellence, social justice, and the sustainable advancement of under-resourced and underserved communities.” This prestigious scholarship grants full tuition, room and board, and other expenses. Gracie is optimistic about this opportunity and will make a great applicant as she is interested in the humanities and foreign relations.

Levine Scholarship- University of North Carolina at Charlotte: Paul King & Sharpe Newton

This fairly new scholarship is UNC-Charlotte’s most revered merit scholarship. Around twenty recipients enjoy all that the booming city of Charlotte has to offer. The program looks at students who have been high academic achievers and show promise for building upon their already existent leadership skills. Scholars participate in summer experiences and are granted funds to develop a community service project of their own design. As driven and ambitious as Paul and Sharpe are, they will serve as excellent prospects for this esteemed honor.

Morehead-Cain Scholarship- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill: Neha Baliga & Lindy Pittman

The Morehead-Cain Scholarship is the nation’s original merit scholarship and has since been a leader in undergraduate development. The highly regarded scholarship grants its recipients virtually unlimited opportunities to fully reach their potentials. The organization truly invests in its members and allows them to truly make a difference during, and after, their four years at UNC-Chapel Hill. The once in a lifetime opportunities that this scholarship provides have proven to be immeasurable. The program seeks students who are academically driven and active leaders able to make a difference. As outgoing students in every category, Neha and Lindy will aim to represent RMA in a great light.

Park Scholarship- North Carolina State University: Emily Cheston & Anna Scott Wingfield

The Park Scholarship aims to develop ambitious and confident leaders who will emerge from their undergraduate experience with the many benefits made possible by the program. The scholarship offers students with unique opportunities on and off of NC State’s campus while fostering individual growth and personal leadership. The opportunity to join the university as a Park Scholar is awarded to students excelling academically and making an impact on their high school campuses through leadership, integrity, and service. Based on their level of involvement academically and in extracurricular activities, Emily and Anna Scott hope to convey their passion for making a difference as competitive applicants.